• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Gunea pig struggling to get up

• Thread starter Thread starter flee
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
F

flee

Flee is 3 years old and hasnt loss his appetite but appears to have loss weight ,lays on his side a lot and needs help to stand up does anyone have any ideas?Also he does a kind of bunny hop when he is walking

Hi & welcome to the forum. I can't really help you with what may be wrong with Flee I'm afraid but I my advice is to get him to a vets so they can examine him & give you a diagnosis.

Wishing you all the best, please let us know how it goes.

Welcome to the forum. Could be a calcium deficiency but I am no vet and your piggie really does need to see one, they can go down hill very quickly. Have a look at the list of recommended vets at the top of health and illness page to find a good one in your area. Guinea pigs are unable to make their own vitamin c like us humans and need a good quality dried pellet and fresh veg every day. A diet deficient in vit c/calcium and minerals can cause a guinea to display the symptoms yours shows.

I see from your other post you took Flee to a vet last week, but as all he did was give pain killers then the problem still needs to be sorted. Is it possible you can take him to another vets? Check if it is a vet experienced with guinea pigs. He really needs to be getting the correct treatment asap as he has been like this for a week or so.

:) Where are you? We may be able to help with a vet- also a pigture of him would be useful please.

Hope piggie gets well soon. I do hope your next vet can help the little one. O0 :)

some vets have no idea about guinea pigs, find one that does x
welcome

thankyou for all of your replys. its good to know that there are lots of other guinea pig lovers out there. we took flea to a vet that only deals with smaller animals and he was very good. he said flea has all the symptoms of a lack of vitamin c. we were told to give him 100 mg of vit c a day and within 2 weeks we should see an improvment. we shall keep you posted.

Thank you for keeping us posted. :)

Glad you have found a vet who deals with small animals. All the best to little Flee & hoping the vitamin c soon does the trick. O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back