Guineas Still Really Scared

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grangran

New Born Pup
Reaction score
After doing some research and checking out the rspca, local rescue, and advertising for bonded, handled piggies, I couldn't find any that had been kept outdoors, and, as it's November, I was scared to get any that had come from a heated place, to put them in an unheated (unused) garage. Eventually I bought two young females from someone who keeps them outdoors all year. The piggies were for my 8 year old grandsons birthday, but are kept at my house, and I do the day to day looking after. It seems I have made a big mistake with them through trying to think of their welfare! We have had them for over a fortnight now, and they both hide as soon as they hear me opening the back door. In fact one of them only comes out at night. I have divided their veggie allowance in to small pieces and go in regularly with a treat and a cheery word, but the poor little things obviously have never been used to people, and one actually chatters with fear. I clean them out as quietly as possible, just talking to them gently, but I did have to cut their nails, which terrified them again. I have them in a 120 cage, with a house/shelf and a tube and fleece to hide in. I had made them a playpen for the daytime in the utility room (when the washing machine is not in use), but when I tried putting them in they just froze and didn't move all the time they were in, and it upset them badly.
I feel so sorry for them, but I also feel sorry for my grandson who badly wants a pet to cuddle! The breeder told me to handle them daily, but I have read on this forum to leave them to settle and let them come to you. I really don't think that is going to happen. They will not come out or eat if I am anywhere in the vicinity. Any advice from you experienced owners would be great.

Hi and welcome

You may find these threads here helpful to make friends with your piggies. Try to lure them out with food, first, placed further and further from the hidey hole, talk to them lots and stay closer and closer. My Llewelyn was like that at first, but with persistence he did come round with me first watching from the door and praising him and then gradually coming closer with each meal until I could stay next to him and he would eventually pick food from my hands. Whenever he panicked, I would restart from a "safe" distance.
If you get breeder or shop piggies instead of rescue piggies, you get pets that have had minimal human interaction, so you have to start right at the end. Depending on the kind of place they have come from and how traumatised their mums were, it can take quite a while.

Unfortunately, there is no quick fix. Trust is a slow plant to develop. Guinea pigs are prey animals and not instant cuddly toys. It takes time, patience and persistence - and that goes for any species of pet, not just guinea pigs.

Please be aware that any new territory is frightening for a prey animal. Give your piggies lots of closely spaced hideys (tunnels, cardboard boxes etc.) and peg a blanket over the the area to give them a feeling of protection while they slowly familiarise themselves.

How To Understand Guinea Pig Instincts And Speak Piggy Body Language
How To Pick Up Your Guinea Pig
There are still lots of helpful tips on how not to look like a big predator in this thread: How Do I Settle Shy New Guinea Pigs?
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/children-and-guinea-pigs-age-appropriate-interaction-and-responsibilities.124775/

PS: I hope that you still have got some insulation for frosty periods for your hutch.

Thanks for your reply. These are my first guinea pigs but I have had animals most of my life, and I do realise that they are not 'instant cuddly toys'. The rspca were in agreement that outdoor pigs would be best, and theirs were kept in a heated room. They also didn't have two which could be put together. They said they thought it was healthier for the pigs to be outdoors as long as they had protection from the elements. As I said they have a house (which is large enough for both of them and has hay in it to keep them warm and feeling safe), they have a tube and a fleece, and I also put a pile of loose hay in the corner, so that if one takes over the house the other has a choice of warm hiding places. I have put a blanket over half of their cage for extra warmth and protection. They are not tempted with food if I am within smelling/hearing distance. I have actually stood 8 feet away for two hours - but they would not come out while I was there. Should I just carry on as I am, waiting in the hope that they will gradually become less nervous, or should I take the breeders advice and handle them regularly so they will get used to it?

Guinea pigs are prey animals and normally start out very skittish and fearful. I haven't had outdoor pigs before, living in Canada, but I would imagine it would take longer for them to adjust to the sight/sound of humans when they don't see or hear or smell them pretty much all the time.

Personally, I did handle new pigs every day for at least a short time. I've had a lot of small animals over the year and have found that early/frequent handling (especially in a young animal) leads to them being more comfortable as adults. A lot of pigs never like the feeling of being picked up, so waiting for them to stand still and let themselves be handled may be a very long road. In my experience, pigs got comfortable being held far faster than they got comfortable being caught to be held. You may want to put a box or hidey that you can pick them up in inside to make it easier and less stressful. I would put a blanket on your lap to allow them the option to 'hide' while being handled (Hadley used to just cover her face before she got used to us. Apparently she didn't think we could see her butt poking out!) Lots of luck to you! Hope this helps a bit!

It does take time and some pigs are naturally more timid than others. Bumble who I lost recently was with me 4 years and it was only in the month or so of having daily metacam that she would actually eat veggies with anyone watching (tell a lie, I could on occasion tempt her with cucumber but she always looked shocked by it). None of my pigs like being picked up and they don't make it easy (even the ones that like lap times). You'll find the more they start associating you with food then they will start greeting you with wheeks as soon as you open the back door :))

I've had a breeder piggie for over 4 months (got him at 8 weeks old), and he's still shy. He's a lot better, will take food from my hand, will settle on my lap and does sit outside his hidey when I'm standing there. But he still runs and hides when there's a sudden noise, and runs and hides when I try to catch him. However he is a happy piggie, popcorns a lot especially during floor time. My other piggies are not skittish at all and they'll stand whilst I pick them up.

They need time. I think them being outside will be harder to tame them though. Mine are indoors and they have people walking by and talking to them all day. What is their cage like? Where it is situated?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back