• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guineapig Whistling noise - is it a cause for concern?

Killeroc

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,

Just wanted to see if anyone has had their geauinpig whistling.
- It's definitely nasal but the vet said he was fine after all the checks, he's eating and drinking fine, no discharge around the nose, but even with antibiotics we can't get rid of it. Anyone experience it before?

Youve done the right thing by seeing the vet - medical issues always need to be checked first.
Nasal whistling is most usually caused by hay or bedding dust in the airways. Piggies have narrow airways so any dust in the system is audible. If that is what it is, then he just needs a big sneeze to clear it.

If you are in the Uk, and have put your heating on recently, then sometimes the dry air can cause some respiratory symptoms.

Antibiotics will only help if he has a bacterial respiratory infection. It’s good the vet can’t hear any crackling or noises from the chest.

Youve done the right thing by seeing the vet - medical issues always need to be checked first.
Nasal whistling is most usually caused by hay or bedding dust in the airways. Piggies have narrow airways so any dust in the system is audible. If that is what it is, then he just needs a big sneeze to clear it.

If you are in the Uk, and have put your heating on recently, then sometimes the dry air can cause some respiratory symptoms.

Antibiotics will only help if he has a bacterial respiratory infection. It’s good the vet can’t hear any crackling or noises from the chest.
Thanks for taking the time to reply. We thought he needed a sneeze but wanted to follow the vet's instructions in case there was an infection.

What did this end up being? I have a new pig and I’ve noticed an intermittent whistling with no other symptoms. Sounds very similar. Sorry to resurrect an old post, just curious!

What did this end up being? I have a new pig and I’ve noticed an intermittent whistling with no other symptoms. Sounds very similar. Sorry to resurrect an old post, just curious!

The OP hasn’t been back on the forum since this post was made a few months ago so you may not get any updates.
It is best if you make your own post for ongoing support and advice specific to your case.
Nasal whistling (without any chest involvement) is often due to irritation in the airway but breathing issues and when combined with a new piggy would need to be checked by a vet

She's been checked and there's no obvious cause. I was just curious. Sometimes people get emails with replies so thought maybe OP would see it. Feel free to delete my post if not appropriate. Sorry.

Back