Guinea pigs won’t get a long after being separated. What to do?

Animallover2245

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello there. I’ve not been here for a while but here’s an update. I used to have Pete and Rusty. Rusty passed away around a year ago. As he didn’t get on with any other males. I got him neutered and introduced to females. Hope and Coco. They’re on the older side due to being rescued and coco passed away a few months ago. Hope and Pete were still living fine. But after developing a lump and Pete had to recover from surgery. He was seperated for a couple weeks. But as soon as I tried re introducing them recently. A fight broke out with them. So I separated them again.

It’s sad they won’t get on anymore but I’m wondering is it ok to keep two Guinea pigs separated or would it be best to re home one of the Guinea pigs because I understand Guinea pigs are social creatures. So I’m a bit confused stuck on what to do now. Any advice will be helpful.

I’m sorry to hear this.

Did you ensure the reintroduction was carried out in neutral territory?

Sadly, this is why we do not recommend a separation on medical/surgical recovery grounds - it is known that a medical separation had the potential to break a bond and separation during recovery from surgery is usually unnecessary unless there is a high risk of serious injury being caused.

They are absolutely fine being kept separated but their cages need to be side by side at all times and measuring a minimum of 120x60cm. This still allows for the essential interaction and communication between the bars and prevents any loneliness.

The guides below explain further

Bonds In Trouble
Tips For Post-operative Care

I’m sorry to hear this.

Did you ensure the reintroduction was carried out in neutral territory?

Sadly, this is why we do not recommend a separation on medical/surgical recovery grounds - it is known that a medical separation had the potential to break a bond and separation during recovery from surgery is usually unnecessary unless there is a high risk of serious injury being caused.

They are absolutely fine being kept separated but their cages need to be side by side at all times and measuring a minimum of 120x60cm. This still allows for the essential interaction and communication between the bars and prevents any loneliness.

The guides below explain further

Bonds In Trouble
Tips For Post-operative Care
Thanks for your reply and yes it was done in neutral area. That’s interesting as the vet told me to keep him separate after the surgery. That’s the only reason I separated as it’s what the vet recommended to do back when he was recovering from surgery

Thanks for your reply and yes it was done in neutral area. That’s interesting as the vet told me to keep him separate after the surgery. That’s the only reason I separated as it’s what the vet recommended to do back when he was recovering from surgery

Unfortunately we hear that a lot. Often we find that the vet hadn’t taken into account behaviours, need for companionship and the risks medically separating poses to a bond.

Unfortunately we hear that a lot. Often we find that the vet hadn’t taken into account behaviours, need for companionship and the risks medically separating poses to a bond.
Would it best to try to find another piggy each for them if they want to get a long with them so that way they still will be separated but in pairs? I just feel a bit guilty they’re both on their own now. Pete will be 4 in July and Hope will be 5 in December. Or is it best to just keep them separate due to the lifespan being 4-8yrs and unfortunately they’re nearly in there lifespan.

Would it best to try to find another piggy each for them if they want to get a long with them so that way they still will be separated but in pairs? I just feel a bit guilty they’re both on their own now. Pete will be 4 in July and Hope will be 5 in December. Or is it best to just keep them separate due to the lifespan being 4-8yrs and unfortunately they’re nearly in there lifespan.

It’s really a call for you to make - they will be fine living side by side as singles but it also depends on whether you want more piggies and whether you can manage with four.
It also depends on whether you have the ability to date them at a rescue centre to find their new friends. That would be the biggest factor if it was me - if you can’t date them, then it’s whether you can risk that a new bond may also fail and then you’ve got more separated and single piggies.

In terms of their ages though, nobody can tell the future but at currently 3 and 4 years old they are basically only middle aged and could have another 3-5 years or so each.

Back