Guinea Pigs Won't Eat Their Pellets!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilyS12

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new on here and a new piggie owner (2 girls-8 weeks old). They seem happy and healthy and eat a lot of hay/vegetables, however I don't think they are eating their pellets. When I got them they were being fed a muesli type mix (which I had read was a big no no!), I gradually switched to the pellets but they don't like them! Any advice on what to do? I don't want to switch back to the muesli as I know it's not good for them, but I'm worried about the lack of Vit C! Thanks!

Hi all, I'm new on here and a new piggie owner (2 girls-8 weeks old). They seem happy and healthy and eat a lot of hay/vegetables, however I don't think they are eating their pellets. When I got them they were being fed a muesli type mix (which I had read was a big no no!), I gradually switched to the pellets but they don't like them! Any advice on what to do? I don't want to switch back to the muesli as I know it's not good for them, but I'm worried about the lack of Vit C! Thanks!

Hi and welcome

Shifting guinea pigs over to the diet you are aiming for can take patience and strong nerves!

If you feed a balanced mix of veg, then you do not have to worry. You can just up the vitamin C rich veg a bit (pepper, fresh herbs or a strip of greens or cabbage). You may find our guide helpful. Please keep in mind that grass also contains vitamin C!
Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet
Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time

I would recommend to just offer a small amount of pellets daily and to replace them, but not fill a bowl and let it hang around, as youngsters have the bad habit of peeing in it.
Alternatively, you could give in and mix the pellets with a small amount of muesli which you eventually gradually cut out once your piggies are eating pellets.

As we have got members from all over the world, we find it helpful if you please added your country, state/province or UK county so we can always tailor any advice and recommendations to what is available and possible where you are straight away instead of trying to keep things as general as we can. Click on your username on the top bar, then go to personal details and scroll down to location.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back