Guinea pigs wanted

Anne123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all

We are getting closer to finishing the playhouse for the guinea pigs when we find some.

Can anyone help, we live near Oxford and feel a breeder would be better. We really want short hair as they will be our first pets.

Many thanks

Anne

Hello and welcome. Have you considered getting your piggies from a rescue? There are lots of piggies in rescues around the Country waiting for their forever home :) The piggies will be properly bonded with each other and vet checked with life long support from the rescue. If so, have a look at our rescue locator to see if there’s any rescues near you :) Rescue Locator

We can only recommend rescue centres as we are a rescue friendly forum. We don’t have information on breeders for that reason.

Getting piggies from a rescue rather than a breeder can save you issues down the line - anything from missexing, incorrectly separated piggies meaning sows have already been in contact with boars and therefore already have a pregnancy risk, illness and bond problems once they hit teens due to incompatibilities. Of course, not all breeder piggies will have those issues, but it’s something to be aware of.

Rescue Locator

Rescues, Shops, Breeders or Online? - What to consider when getting guinea pigs

Hi all

We are getting closer to finishing the playhouse for the guinea pigs.

Can anyone help, we live near Oxford and feel a breeder would be better than petshop or pet4homes. We really want short hair as they will be our first pets. Just concerned about what I do, check them but then take to a vet within 48hrs to check they are OK and sexed?.

Many thanks

Anne

I have asked for this post to be merged with your other one with a similar question - your other post has replies already

I've had piggies from Blue Cross at Burford - they've all arrived with full histories and vet checks and the follow up support is great. Males are usually neutered unless there is a good reason not to. My current sow pair were actually delivered to my door in December as the facility was closed to the public because of lockdown! If there is nothing on the website it's worth giving them a call to see if any are in the pipeline waiting to be given the all-clear. You will also be signing something to say that if for whatever reason you cannot keep the piggies they will be returned to Blue Cross rather than being passed on... it secures their future.

My vet at Henley has nurses who volunteer at DBARCS - they might also be able to help. Even PaH used to have an adoption centre but I don't think it's open at the minute - at least not in Abingdon.

I think as the country moves back to 'normal' there will be an influx into rescues of lockdown pets. The more space they can free up the more surrendered piggies they can help x

Hello and welcome
I totally agree, all my piggies are from rescues, my Posh and Ginger from a hoarder situation with over 60 piggies rescued. Hector was dumped in a hedge with 5 other young males and Kiki was destined for live snake food. It makes me feel happy that I helped in some way to support these rescues and give the piggies a lovely caring home 😉

Rescue is definitly best. I got my Patsy from a rescue. She is an older piggie the rescue estimated her about 5 years from the information that they had been given but I think that she is older because of her body condition. Don't discount older piggies. They are often left in rescues because everyone wants the younger ones. Patsy is a little sweetheart and has such a lovely nature. She has now fully settled in after 9 months and fits in very nicely with my other 2 piggies. She is a confident and cheeky girl. Here she is.
Patsy Feet.webp

Rescue is definitly best. I got my Patsy from a rescue. She is an older piggie the rescue estimated her about 5 years from the information that they had been given but I think that she is older because of her body condition. Don't discount older piggies. They are often left in rescues because everyone wants the younger ones. Patsy is a little sweetheart and has such a lovely nature. She has now fully settled in after 9 months and fits in very nicely with my other 2 piggies. She is a confident and cheeky girl. Here she is.
View attachment 178582
hello gorgeous 😍

I would suggest you skim through the pregnancy part of the forum. Once you have read a few stories of accidental litters etc then you will soon be clicking on the recommended rescue button 😂 If you still aren’t convinced then a few of the bond in trouble stories should seal the deal.

I have a pair of rescue pigs after doing the above. I was all lined up with a friend of a friend breeder but I’m so glad I didn’t go that route.

Welcome to the forum.
I agree with rescuing piggies rather than buying.
Hope you find lovely additions to your family and we will look forward to pictures

Patsy says "Hello Aunty Jane"
Hello Patsy
You are looking very beautiful there, I heard you are going on your holidays next month, I hope you and your two housemates have a lovely time x

Hello Patsy
You are looking very beautiful there, I heard you are going on your holidays next month, I hope you and your two housemates have a lovely time x
I hope so. I've never been to Aunty Lucy but Betsy and Meg say she's very nice and I'll get spoilt even more that I do at home. I know that a holiday is living somewhere else for a little while and then I go back home again. I'm a bit nervous of being somewhere new but as I'll have my friends with me I'm sure I'll be OK.

Back