• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pigs vomiting

• Thread starter Thread starter Lisa36
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

Lisa36

Hi everyone I'm new to the forum :) I'm hoping someone can help me I took one of my boars cracker to the vets this morning to be neutered the vets have just rung I thought to tell me he'd had his op and all was well but apparently when they gave him the gas to knock him out he actually vomited and had to have the food cleared out his mouth and be woken up they then left him an hour and tried again and he did he same thing again to say I am shocked is to put it mildly as far as I knew guinea pigs cannot be sick the vet is positive that is what happened he said is it very unusual but they would like me to take him back next week to try again I am not sure I want to do that now has anyone else had a guinea pig vomit?

no and I know its suppose to never happen maybe its regurgitated food is that slightly different to vomit , I was told by my vet once a pig hs eaten something poison nothing can be done as it cannot come back up, think I'd try a different vet explaining what the first one said, my vet said they can eat before an op becasue they DO NO VOMIT , or other options are stick with the same vet but dont feed him before the op, or dont risk the op good luck

I'm off to pick him up shortly I will ask for another explaination my feeling is now not to go through with it I have been worried sick all morning about my baby :smitten: It might be something telling me not to have him done or he knew what was going to happen ;D

Hi and Welcome :)
I've never heard of that before either, as Michelle said i'd ask another vet's opinion on this one :-\
Good luck give your little one lots of cuddles and offer him his favourite foods and see what happens, but do it a bit at a time :)
Post what area you're in and i'm sure somebody will advise a vet close by

My guinea pig Angus, ate too much carrot once and had a bit of diffuculty spitting it out again :(
But thats the closest ive seen to a piggy vomiting... I agree with everyone else :)

Strange. I agree with everyone else to get another vets opinion. Then decide if you want to give it another try or not. It wouldn't be wise to starve him before the operation. Keep us informed. O0

yeah i would ask for another opinion is the vet sure it wasn't a heaving hiccup? where they cough back food up from the back of their mouth it's not actually vomitting as when food gets to the stomache it can't come back up but they can cough a bit thats what happened to gideon he swallowed his food to fast then heaved some back up from his throat. is the op essential? i have never had any of mine neutered and manage to socialize them well (share a huge run together but seperate cages) i'd ask for another vet just to put you're mind at rest O0

Thanks everyone for your replies :) I've brought cracker home he seems fine bless his little heart :smitten: after a long chat at the surgery I've decided to put the neutering off indefinately apparently it was more like a type of regurgitation after giving him the gas to knock him out it sort of dribbled out out his mouth they cleaned his mouth out with cotton buds checked his breathing in case he had inhaled any and brought him round after leaving him an hour they tried again only for him to do the same thing again :-\ it was suggested to try again next week after withdrawing his food for a couple of hours :-\ I'm really not happy about him going through this again because theres no guarantee it won't happen again :( so for now cracker gets to keep his baubles ;D

I've got two lovely ladies waiting for him to live with them :smitten: I got him and his two young sons from the free ads they were unwanted unloved and uncared for >:( they all have been living happily together but recently he has started to be a bit aggressive towards them nothing too serious I have had four other boys successfully neutered in the last year and thought it would be a good idea for him :)

It's a shame the operation didn't go straight forward. :-\ Maybe he did it by purpose as he didn't want two wives, he would no longer be the boss. ;D Do you think you would consider giving it another go in a couple of months time? ? :)

I am going to think long and hard about this over the next few weeks :-\ I will keep you informed O0

I agree with everyone else, I have never heard of this before.

I suppose, if the food just dribbled out of his mouth, Cracker could still have had food in his mouth when he was given the anaesthetic and when relaxed it dribbled out rather than him actually vomiting. If he had been eating right up until the time of his op. its possible he didn't have time to empty his mouth before he went to sleep.

Lisa36 said:
I am going to think long and hard about this over the next few weeks :-\ I will keep you informed O0

Please do. Maybe contact a vet who is more exprienced or an rescue, as these may have a better idea how to go about the operation. O0

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back