• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pigs unwell

• Thread starter Thread starter tracyb
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tracyb

Hi to forum

we bought two female guinea pigs 4 weeks ago today. 2 weeks ago the smaller of the 2 seemed to be dragging a foot and wasn't running round the cage. We wondered if she had damaged it racing in and out of their house. We nursed her for a few days and although she is eating and drinking just fine she still seems a little small compared to the other and still drags her feet (a bit of a rabbit jumping motion). The other larger active one has suddenly developed the same problem. Both are drinking - theres not as much poo in the cage though. Guinea pig food is vitamin enriched. They are not keen on fruit or veg put in the cage (ones that are safe for GP's).

Any ideas before I ring the vet ?

Thanks

they may be lacking in calcium,I had that prob with a couple of mine,you could try giving them osteocare from boots in liquid form or chewable calcium and vitamin d tabs?
also some vitamin A/parsley and multivitamin mix like abidec

Thanks for advice. Will pop down to Boots in town this morning.
Thanks again

tracyb said:
Thanks for advice. Will pop down to Boots in town this morning.
Thanks again

I think you should get them checked out at the vets first before giving them anything.

I agree, it could be a number things including a calcium deficiency. I strongly urge you to get them down the vets. :o :)

Hi again

Thanks very much for advice given.

I have watched them for a while and they are so lethargic and are struggling to walk they sort of bunny-hop as though they have suddenly gone lame.

They were abosolutely loopy when we brought them home and they both were running in and out of their GP house and around the (large) cage we have hem in.
They live in the conservatory, but we bring them into the kitchen when it is hot and cover them up at night with a rug when it is cold at night.

They are not keen on fruit and veg for some reason. Our last GP was beautiful and called GonkaGonk (Gonky) as my then 3 year old made up the name ! He loved cherry tomatoes and carrots. As I mentioned previously they are being fed GP food with all the added vitamisn and so on. They are only 7 weeks old and surely shouldn't have calcium deficiency or is this a trait from breeding ?

I have been making sure they are taking in plenty of water and have given them both a few cuddles.

I will take them to vet first thing tomorrow.

Thanks again to forum - I am very grateful.

Kind regards

Tracy and family

I would also get back in touch with whoever you brought them from too. If they are only 7 weeks old and you have had them 4 weeks already they have been taken away from mum too early.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)
I hope that you've been to the vets these little ones need help :(
Keep us posted and wishing you all the best, can you post some piccies they sound gorgeous :smitten:

It could also be related to Vitamin C defiency. There is vitamin C in the food but not sufficient amounts to be the piggy equivalent of their RDA. The chances are that if you bought them in a pet shop they have never seen a vegetable in their lives. Offer them really tempting things like romaine lettuce (no iceberg), parsley (this will help with the calcium), red peppers and cucumber - it may take them a while to nibble it (they're naturally scared of new things) but once they get the idea there will be no stopping them!

I do think the vet is the best first step, though.

Pumpkinpiggie said:
I would also get back in touch with whoever you brought them from too. If they are only 7 weeks old and you have had them 4 weeks already they have been taken away from mum too early.

Agree, defiantly get back in touch with whoever sold them to you. How are they today? Have you booked an appointment down the vets? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back