• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pigs - Thrush?

• Thread starter Thread starter Devon Cavies
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Devon Cavies

Do Guinea Pigs get thrush? I am new to breeding Guinea Pigs and we have just set up a small stud of Dutch and Abys. I have bought my stock from reputable breeders from a cavy show. I have one little 3 month old dutch girl who just seems to suffer from a rather cloudy & thick discharge. She is on an excellent diet, with a good quality hard feed and a plentiful supply of fresh grass and vegetables. I've bought some dried cranberries and have added this to her feed in the hope it may help. Does anyone have any advice for this type of problem. She often has brown hair around her rear end, as if she's been scoury, but there's not any evidence of scouring in her bedding. So, I think it's the discharge causing the hair to be stained.

Cavies can get thrush yes, it needs treating quickly. Also you might want to re consider announcing you are a breeder, this is a pro rescue forum, uou'll get smakced wrists

Yes they can get thrush, and has already been said, you need to treat it very quickly!

Thanks - is the treatment via a vet only or can it be treated naturally?
Re: breeder - I'm in total agreement with not breeding recklessly, and I have nice homes lined up already. I also have a stable block, 3.5 acres and loads of room if I need to keep any!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back