Guinea pigs & rabbits sharing airspace

Silverkita

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm wondering about the safety of keeping guinea pigs in the same airspace as rabbits?

I don't mean keeping them in the same enclosure, but keeping them nearby each other/within the same room. And whether or not this is safe?

I know that one of the (many, many) reasons putting rabbits and guinea pigs together is a bad idea, is that rabbits can carry illness that doesn't make them sick but can make guinea pigs ill.

If I got guinea pigs they would be kept near to where rabbits are kept... is this safe? Or would I just be best off not adopting guinea pigs at all for risk of diseases?

Are the diseases a concern only when keeping them in the same enclosure eg. due to close contact or contact with feces and urine? Or would it still be bad sharing the same airspace? The only time I've seen it mentioned is the risks of keeping them actually housed together, so I'm just unsure if it's a risk them just sharing the same room.

As much as I miss having pigs. I have no interest in endangering an animal no matter how badly I want them.

Thanks very much for reading!

I have two guinea pigs and I have three rabbits and I never let them share air space (and of course equipment is kept entirely separately. I always deal with the piggies first and make sure hands are clean etc before going between each species etc). They live in sheds but when they do need to come indoors (inclement weather etc) then they are still kept in different rooms.
For me, it’s just not worth the risk to allow them to share air space. I do know there are others on here who do have them share an air space.

I certainly did, they interacted in the shed and on the lawn and lived to ripe old ages.

I have zero experience keeping them in the same air space but I have owned bunnies and guinie pigs and I think if you keep on a regular cleaning routine to keep ammonia smell away and good air flow you would be fine.

Thanks for the replies!

Well... I'm still totally unsure. 😅
I suppose everyone has their own ways of doing things. I guess I'll just do some more research into the specific diseases and go from there. It's reassuring to hear someone has had success. Either way I'll still try to be cautious and do more research.

Back