• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pigs quick has reached the tip of the nail

jilllovan23

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We just adopted our piggies from someone who clearly didn't know how to care for them or just didn't try (overgrown nails, dirty cage, was only feeding rabbit pellets, and the poor babies reeked of urine and cigarette smoke). Anyway, we just trimmed all their tips except one, one of our piggies back nails is very long and it looks like the quick goes all the way to the tip, not only that but there is an odd nail type growth coming from the base of that same nail that looks like the quick has pushed into. We want to know what we can do to start getting the quick to recede from the tip so we can get these nails under control. Any suggestions? Any guesses on what the growth is? Thank you! *For anyone wondering we have got them a clean habitat the correct food, Timothy hay to chew, vitamins, enrichment toys, hideaways, the works!

Please do have them seen by a vet for a good check given their less than ideal background.
Cutting the nails little and often will cause the quick to recede but if there is nothing you can cut because the quick is right at the top, then it would probably be best to have a vet look at them. I’m afraid we can’t know what the growth is from a description and even with a picture we can only make guesses. A hands on vet check is the best thing to do.

Well done for taking them in. Hopefully they will be back to full health in no time with good diet and care

When I have been in a situation with overgrown nails I have just taken the tip off the nails and done this regularly, it takes time to get them a more reasonable length but it helps to prevent accidentally cutting the quick. With dark nails you can shine a torch through them which sometimes helps to see where the quick is and how much you can take off. As for the growth I would definitely get it vet checked to find out what's going on.

Well done for taking them in. I too advise a vet check just to make sure they’re ok due to their background and to have the growth checked out.

I take my piggies to the vets to have their nails cut. One of my girls has dark nails

Back