Guinea Pigs Outside In Winter

Status
Not open for further replies.

chloegabrielle_

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have two piggys outside in a hutch, they are well protected from the elements and have a waterproof cover. However although I pack the hutch with hay I'm worried they will get too cold :( I don't have room in the house for them- but they do have a fluffy bed that I bought from Pets at home! I've been advised to keep them outside and told they will be fine however I still worry!

Hi, I keep my two female piggies outside at the moment.
They have a scratch and newton hutch hugger and live in the bottom level of the pets @ home hutch. They have a snuggle safe heat pad (Pets @ home sell for £22 but you can buy this cheaper on ebay!) and lots of natures best meadow hay and straw. They have some house insulation on the sides and back and I have covered doors in bubble wrap. Also we are going to move our piggies to our shed. I recommend the pets @ home woodlands play sticks as they keep our guinea pigs warm. I like this you tube video as is very helpful: How to keep guinea pigs warm in winter: Hutch insulation tips by GuineaPigSecretsUK.
We are renting so we can't bring our piggies in and I am still worried about them. Hope this is useful!

Hi and welcome to the forum.
I don't know whether it will be a very cold winter, but it is certainly in the minuses outside. Guinea pigs really shouldn't be housed outside in winter months, even an un used garage is marginally better.
As posted above the thread is sure to help you. It sure sounds you have done your research on their home with good insulation.
I can only suggest lots of snuggling hay, and several heat pads.

Hi, I keep my two female piggies outside at the moment.
They have a scratch and newton hutch hugger and live in the bottom level of the pets @ home hutch. They have a snuggle safe heat pad (Pets @ home sell for £22 but you can buy this cheaper on ebay!) and lots of natures best meadow hay and straw. They have some house insulation on the sides and back and I have covered doors in bubble wrap. Also we are going to move our piggies to our shed. I recommend the pets @ home woodlands play sticks as they keep our guinea pigs warm. I like this you tube video as is very helpful: How to keep guinea pigs warm in winter: Hutch insulation tips by GuineaPigSecretsUK.
We are renting so we can't bring our piggies in and I am still worried about them. Hope this is useful!
I rent my house. I'm allowed my piggies in, no dogs or cats but animals that are not free roaming are allowed. Check with your landlord, it may be ok xx

Thanks a lot Shirley.
Our landlord had a bad experience with mice in her flat so she hates all rodents. I am planning to send her a cute photo of my guinea pigs and a letter explaining that they will do no harm! Fingers crossed it works!

Thanks a lot Shirley.
Our landlord had a bad experience with mice in her flat so she hates all rodents. I am planning to send her a cute photo of my guinea pigs and a letter explaining that they will do no harm! Fingers crossed it works!
Aww show us the cute photo too!

Hi,

My two girls live outside all year round. I'm really paranoid about how the cold affects them. This is how i keep them warm in winter - it does take a bit of work but it is achievable. I'm on the South coast of UK so our winters are rarely extreme. You may need to adapt it for where you live.

You need a source of heat, layers for insulation and protection from draughts and the wet

1. Good strong weather proof hutch placed in a sheltered spot. Mine's placed in a corner by a wall and a fence which gets a fair amount of sun (when it's shining). It's also visible from our lounge.
2. The bottom and top of the hutch are lined with a foil blanket (but make sure it's out of nibble range).
3. The bottom is lined with newspaper, then wood shavings.
4. They have a Rosewood snuggle bed (which are machine washable but put it inside a pillow case so you don't get hay in your machine) and a snugglesafe which fits perfectly inside the bed. The snugglesafe lasts 10-12 hours and they get it warmed twice a day in cold weather.
5. Take a cardboard box the same size as the bedding compartment. Cut a hole for pig access and cut an opening door for you to access it. Put the box upside down over the bed then using you precut door stuff it with hay, newpaper shreds or fleece blanket/towel. Wrap a fleece blanket around the cardboard box.
6. They must have clean dry bedding at all times. I get through a lot of bedding.
7. You can also get self heating pet bedding for about £10 on Amazon among many other websites.
8. I have a remote thermometer sensor in the bedding compartment so I can see what the temperature is without letting all the heat out. It's screwed to the inside of the roof which is too high for them to nibble. I paid £26 for it (also from amazon).
9. The outside of the hutch has a cheap duvet thrown over it at night.
10. A shed or outbuilding is preferable but if like me this is not an option Argos do cheap plastic greenhouses which you can erect over the top of the hutch. They are much cheaper than hutch covers, do the same job and have the added benefit of keeping you dry when you're cleaning the cage. You do need to leave the door open for a few hours every few days to clear condensation.
11. Two pigs (or more) snuggle up next to each other for warmth. I would be wary of having a lone pig outside and sick and very young/old pigs should be inside in cold weather.

Also make sure they get plenty of fresh Vit C rich food daily to help prevent infection along with as much hay & dried food as they want.

Hope this helps x

Thanks a lot Pig Slave. That is very helpful. I live in Surrey, South East England so the winter shouldn't be too bad!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back