Guinea Pigs Outdoors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miss_piggie

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,I'm kinda new to owning piggies full time (My sister had them when we were kids and now I'm looking after her new ones.)
My question is, what temperatures can guinea pigs withstand out side at night?
My land lord doesn't want them in the house but I'm concerned that it may still be too cold for them. What would I need to put with them so they stay warm throughout the night?

I believe they dont like temps below 15 degrees, but more importantly they hate damp and drafts.
I've always kept mine in sheds or a garage (no cars) and out blankets over the hutches and given them plenty of hay to burrow in and they've been fine.

If that's not an option, I hope someone with outside-outside pigs will reply!

We do have some member who keep guinea pigs outdoors - but I would struggle to do this as it is so difficult to keep them warm and dry. It is best to keep them in a temperature range between 15 and 20 degrees .
OH won't let me keep mine indoors so I have them in a shed . I can keep their hutch warm with electric thermostatic heaters.

This is a good thread...
Cold Weather Care For Guinea Pigs

If you cant have them in a shed or outhouse you can get hutch huggers and rain covers. I have both over mine. I roll up the rain front during the day when its like this and down at night so they dont have a draft at night. You can also make sure the cage is in a sheltered area. Not in an area that turn into a wind tunnel when the bad weather kicks in x

Thank you everyone for the advice. I really appreciate it. I thought ahead this afternoon before heading off to work to covered their cage with multiple towels and put fresh newspaper paper in their portable crate under the house. I'm picking up some hay in the morning for the night time. I would much prefer them upstairs with me but unfortunately, I cannot. I checked the temperature and it's just under 20°c, I hope it's not too cold.

I have a very sheltered area of the garden that is now known as the piggy garden. I have a hutch cover etc and make sure they have plenty of hay each evening to sleep in. I also use snugglesafes and monitor their water bottles as regularly as possible (on a work day its first thing in the morning, when I get home and before bed) to make sure they haven't frozen. I do have the added security of moving them into the garage if the weather becomes too severe

I have a very sheltered area of the garden that is now known as the piggy garden. I have a hutch cover etc and make sure they have plenty of hay each evening to sleep in. I also use snugglesafes and monitor their water bottles as regularly as possible (on a work day its first thing in the morning, when I get home and before bed) to make sure they haven't frozen. I do have the added security of moving them into the garage if the weather becomes too severe
It's the beginning of spring here in Australia, so the nights are getting warmer it's just some nights are colder than others and I worry they may be too cold. I've put hay and newspaper in the little box they have and draped thick towels all over it to help keep the warmth in as well as keeping them under the house from late afternoon when I leave for work. When it starts to become warmer in the afternoon and nights I'm going to keep them in their hutch at night with hay and blankets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back