Guinea Pigs New Owner

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiebaxter123

New Born Pup
Reaction score
hi what bedding does everyone use for guinea pigs also what food is the best for them?needs 2 be economical

also what fruit and veg do people give them

last question is what toys do you have for them?

:wel:Hello and welcome to the forum. We have loads of threads with helpful information, tips and ideas. Here is a link to the "starter kit" guide." Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

We have threads dedicated to food and feeding with recommended daily amounts of veg etc. Here is the link Recommendations For A Balanced General Guinea Pig Diet

In terms of bedding there are many different types and opinions vary. There are many discussions on the forum as to different types. I use fleece on top of puppy pads. But others use megazorb, aubiose, shavings or hay.

We have members all over the world so would it be possible to add your location to your profile? It helps us to make the right recommendations for you if we know you are in the U.S., UK or elsewhere.

Please feel free to ask questions or to share pictures of your piggies. We are a friendly forum and love seeing piggy pictures.

hi what bedding does everyone use for guinea pigs also what food is the best for them?needs 2 be economical but decent

lwhat toys do you have for them?
also i have seen snugggle pouches where can i get them?

If you've already got them. Maybe you should've researched before getting them! If not my apologies it read like you've got them before researching.
Burgess and excel pellets are what my pair feast on. Do not give myself type ones it encourages selective eating. Lots of hay and my dudes love kale pepper cucumber but hate broccoli and carrots. They are on a bed of newspapers towel and fleeces. Guinea pigs don't play just love hide holes little bridges and hay stuffed toilet roles with the sides snipped.

Also please ensure you have the correct size cage. 2 Guinea pigs need at least 5ft length by 2ft depth. Any less is mean and they both need their own space. Forgot to add but obviously daily fresh water. With a nice run for the Warner summer months

Hello and welcome
I answered your post on another thread Guinea Pigs New Owner
I will see if I can merge the threads otherwise I will ask another admin to help do this.

There are many useful threads to read which will answer many of your queries as a new owner of piggies. I hope you will find them useful.

Hi there and welcome :)
It's lovely that you're looking into what's best for your piggies :)
One of the most economical bedding that you can buy is fleece, which may sound odd as it's very untraditional, but it's becoming a fast favourite amongst piggy-keepers :)
There are various ways to use fleece. If you are handy with a sewing machine you can make a fleece quilt (top layer of fleece, middle layer of 6-8 oz polyester wadding, bottom layer of fleece). Other people prefer to have an absorbent layer of something (e.g. towels) under a single sheet of fleece :)
To make the most of the fleece bedding it's best to have a hay tray, like a cat litter tray or a potting tray, filled with a more traditional disposable bedding for the messy things, I.e. the food bowl and the hay.
Piggies living on fleece will often prefer to pee on the traditional bedding, and thus leaving the fleece fresher for longer before you have to wash it. Also keeping the hay separate maked brushing the fleece down easier to do.
To care for fleece you brush it down as mentioned, wash without softener at 40 degrees and line dry. It dries very quickly, even as a quilt with the wadding :)

My favourite disposable bedding is Fitch - it's paper based and economical at £22 for 20kg. It's not dusty and kind on the lungs and absorbs liquids well. I just find it easy to scoop out the messy bits and replace, inbetween full clean-outs :)

I'm sure others will post their favourites, and we all have our preferences and reasons behind them.

Sometimes we start off on one thing and readjust to suit ourselves, our routines and our piggies :)

hi what bedding does everyone use for guinea pigs also what food is the best for them?needs 2 be economical but decent

lwhat toys do you have for them?
also i have seen snugggle pouches where can i get them?

There are several places you can have pouches made to order from; the ones we recommend to do in support of guinea pigs rescues.
Pawsup is one of them: Pawsup

Please carefully read through the links that @VickiA has given you. It contains all information re. bedding, a good, healthy diet (with a detailed account of what you can feed how often), how you settle in and make friends with guinea pigs as well as our toy tips thread.
Here is the link again: " Starter Kit" Of Information Threads For New Owners

Are your guinea pigs in a hutch or indoors? Are they boys or girls and how big a space have they got?

As for toys they can be playful in their own way - I have seen mine play-chase and popcorn (jumping out of joy mixed with excitement), especially when young. They enjoy running laps around their cages too and will dart in and out of tunnels while doing so.

This often calms down as they get older, but pigs of all ages love paper bags filled with hay, tunnels of various types, lengths, textures and sizes, boxes, inner roles from toilet paper stuffed with hay (cut length-wise to ensure snouts and heads don't get jammed).... there are others too but they seem firm favourites. It's not so much play, more enrichment and exploration I think

I'll try and link you to snuggle pouches if you will give me a little time. I find most of mine on eBay, you'd be surprised at how many sellers there are. Some have websites too. :)
Further to Pawsup I seem to recall that Chucklebunnies support rescue too. Chucklebunnies

It's an exciting time planning for piggies, do you have any reserved for you yet? x x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back