Guinea pigs needing separation?

Guineapigmum2girls

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone
I have had these two female guinea pigs for a week now. The Californian is 3 months and the crown head is 8 months. They previously lived together on a farm with a larger group of females. I have noticed some behaviour from this since having them, mainly when they are in their bed, I hear squealing and I just put it down to them not wanting to share a bed . However today I was about to clean their cage when i managed to film this encounter. I want to ask if this is normal dominance behaviour or they aren't getting on?
The smaller one rumble struts and chases the older one , however the older one tries to mount the younger one so I am worried that one of them isn't being submissive and will end in a fight

If you would like you attach a video you have to upload it to somewhere like YouTube first. Rumble strutting, chasing and mounting is normal dominant behaviour so try not to worry too much. How big is their cage and do all their hides have two exits so one piggy can’t trapped the other inside? Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

:agr:
When you relocate piggies, even if they have always lived together, then they go into a period if reestablishing their relationship and during this time you will see an increase in dominance. This will take around two weeks. As long as it only remains within normal levels of dominance then you don’t need to do anything.
Sometimes, the change in environment and subsequent reestablishing can bring underlying issues to the surface which can break a bond.

We cannot host video directly on the forum and as above, it needs to be uploaded to YouTube first and then a list posted to it here.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)

Fighting or dominance?
31 March 2022
Here are two videos I've uploaded , as you can see they seem to have little tuffs as well as the mounting and rumbling :( the older one mounts and the younger one rumbles
Also cage size- in the video this is there home whilst I'm not at home which is about 140cm long, I get them out as much as possible into their gated pen for some space when I am at homeVideo one
Video two

I wouldn’t say this is a play for dominance. I would hazard a guess that the young piggy may be in season. When they are, they can chase and even mount. My underpig used to chase and mount her friend when in season. That was very odd to see because she was usually so docile and couldn’t care less! Second thing is have you checked that they are both female?

Have a read of the links that were posted above - particularly the second one. Also have a look through the one below.

Also as mentioned above, it takes two weeks for them to establish hierarchy in a new home, even if they’ve been living together previously.

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

I wouldn’t say this is a play for dominance. I would hazard a guess that the young piggy may be in season. When they are, they can chase and even mount. My underpig used to chase and mount her friend when in season. That was very odd to see because she was usually so docile and couldn’t care less! Second thing is have you checked that they are both female?

Have a read of the links that were posted above - particularly the second one. Also have a look through the one below.

Also as mentioned above, it takes two weeks for them to establish hierarchy in a new home, even if they’ve been living together previously.

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
Thanks for the help, I have attempted to check their genders and it does seem that they are both females from what I managed to see, however they're super wriggly and make it super awkward to check . I will have a read through the links posted- thanks everyone

Back