Guinea Pigs & Litter Trays?!?

• Thread starter Thread starter tinkerbell*
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tinkerbell*

Hey ppl!
I was wondering has anyone trained their piggys to use an outdoor litter tray?
I done this with my Bunny and now she poo's and Wee's in her toilet, only! which is very handy becuase she has a huge huge house/run! not i have my baby *pip*. i was wondering if i could train him to do the same?!? anyone had sucsess stories with this?!?

This is going to sound mean but guinea pigs arn't as smart as rabbits, i've not known one to be trained for a litter tray, BUT! All my guinea pigs I could hold them for say 30mins - 1hr and them not poo or wee on me, they hold it in and wait until they get into their cage, but then again sometimes when I put them back into their cage, they don't straight away poo and wee.

I don't see how you could train a guinea pig I think they would just sniff the litter tray and think "Ok. Why has my mother given me this! What is it!?" lmao!

Re: Guinea Pigs & Litter Trays?!?po

it is very difficult to litter train guinea pigs, but have heard it is possible but takes alot of perseverance and time.

I have noticed that my girls use a plant pot when they are outside to poo and wee in they all do it so i might put it in their cage and see if they use it or not. I did get a litter tray with my hutch and was told that they would use it but they never have so I threw it!

thanx for you comments guys! well.... in verdict. it sounds like a bit of a lost cause. however i may try it. he is in with my bunny and they are best of friends so hopefully he will start copying her, lol.... hmmmm maybe ill leave the teaching to her, she probs better at it then me, hehe! :D

When my guineas lived loose in the shed I used a plastic dog bed with newspaper on the bottom and hay in it. Because they went in there to eat hay they obviously wee'd in there also, and I used to change it all more regularly than the rest. Not quite the same thing as a litter tray though.

I tried mine with a litter tray when I first got them but soon gave up. They seemed to more enjoy jumping in and all around in it and trying to pull it across the cage. So in the end I gave it someone who has a rabbit and now it's being used for it's proper purpose!

My pigs only poo under an upturned dog bed when they're out in their run but everywhere when they're in the hutch. Their favourite place is in their bedroom tho, little stinkers! ;D

I have had no luck with litter training in the cage, however, when they girls free range in the evenings they either go back to the pen to poop and pee, or they go in their travel box (which is always open on the lounge floor). We only have accidents when I am cleaning the cage and Fluffkin is determined that if she can't pee at home she'll go as close to it as she can: on the floor against the wall of the cage. Yick.

I have a lid of a cardboard box and I fill it not even half way with shavings and the pigs poop in there :) not all the time but most on the time... I didnt train them or anything...

I've noticed that when I have a plant pot in their outdoor run they poop a lot in it - or is that just due to them spending a lot of time in it? yesterday I used a ceramic saucer for their lunch for a change, and later found they'd weed and pooed in it as though it was a littler tray (or was it just an expression of thanks for lunch?) :D

I think they just wee and poo wherever they happen to be! I've notice the plant pot thing as well newpiggies! ;D

They have a litter tray in their hutch but there is just as much wee and poo elsewhere in the hutch.

Truffle likes to sit in the litter tray to eat. :o ;D

Mine like to fill their food bowls with poo once empty too...I glanced at the bowl once, saw it looked full so didnt think it needed filling. Went to feed them later in the evening, took the bowl out to find it was full of yucky, stinky poo and not one piece of food! lol. No idea how long it had been empty for!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back