Guinea Pigs Incoming - New Owner And List Of What I Have. Hopefully Not Forgotten Anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Subvato

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
All being well. My princess pig will arrive tomorrow. Name to be announced. Can't tempt fate To cut a very long story short she should have company soon after if accepted :)

(Does mean 1 sow turn to 4 sows!)

I have already or being delivered:

- 1 pet store cage *short term stay* for hospital cage/quarentine

- 22 C*C grids and correx. I plan to make it 3x5 grids. Does this meet minimum. And curious what is minimum in grids for 4 sows

- 3 water bottles ferplast sippies

- 3 bowls

- 1 bag of oxbow timothy hay

- 2 bags of alfalfa hay (piggy is still young)

- 1 pigloo large

- 1 fleecey cosy tunnel

- 1wooden stick bridge

- 1 dual fleecey bed (has cover overhead)

- pellets

- newspaper/towels/fleece

- a loving piggy parent

I hope I remembered everything. A trip to morrisons for veggies of course (: carrier picking up tomorrow.

All starts off in the evening. I hope to be able to share photos it depends how shy she is as will be left to settle in and burrow in hay or hide. She will move in to c&c after monitoring and with other sows.

Hi! Four sows need a minimum of 2x6 ft, so a 3x5 grid arrangement is plenty.

it would be great if you had one hidey and one bowl for each sow, but please remove any hideys with just one exit during the dominance phase - just pegging a hankie or an old tea towel to the grids will do the trick as will a cardboard box with two sides cut off.
I hope that all goes well for you tomorrow!
You can find tips for settling new piggies in these threads:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/how-do-i-settle-shy-new-guinea-pigs.36239/
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/...stincts-and-speak-piggy-body-language.117031/

Here is our diet thread:
http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/

We have got tips for introductions, dominance and sow behaviour at the top of our behviour and bonding section for when your other girls arrive.

Many thanks for the tips, I will ensure there is a hide facility(with multi exits) for all and get an extra bowl. The tea towel peg idea is great! As well as them being placed tactically in different parts of the cage.

I'm happy to be off work for 4 days straight after to monitor everything and sometimes can even work from home :)

So chuffed for you.I jumped from two to four then six.Now have ten that have their own room.My four girls are in a three x five.What bedding are you using? I have fleece with litter trays

Fleece bedding, on top of towels on top of newspaper. I was thinking of different type near feeding stations and hay racks later on once bonding is going well as initially food will be in seperate areas so no piggy can be blocked.

You seem very well organised and looks like you've done the research! Well done! Good luck for when they arrive :)

Bella has arrived. Her sisters tomorrow if all goes well. I'm happy. Excited scared and nervous all in one but I have left her to hide and come out of her own accord. And gives me time to keep reading the guides and finishing everything I need

This morning I woke spot cleaned, i took some old hay out, Bella ran out from under hidey to see what was going on did a few laps and ran back under.

I then placed veggies in, i offered a carrot and she nibbled the end, I left her be, she has eaten all the carror a bit of cucumber and didnt want the parsley. I've noticed pellets go down, water bottle still the same i have tested it and it works but i know she may get water from her veg so not use it yet.

Just a few moments ago i saw her burrowing into the hay.

A few more delveres have arrived, extra items :) its great getting these hauls delivered

Looks like Bella is settling in well!

Exciting times... :nod: Does sound like you have all the bases covered.. :tu:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back