Guinea Pig's Happiness And Well-being?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eighsse

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I am new here, my name is Eddie. I am watching a guinea pig at my house while her family is on vacation; I have never owned or watched a guinea pig before. I've done a little reading online, but still just a beginner. It's been about a week, but I'm sure she's still confused/uncomfortable (I certainly would be!). I hear that guinea pigs are very social and like attention. I know ideally she'd have a guinea pal too; she did, but unfortunately, the other died several weeks ago. But I try to get her out, let her walk around, talk to her, hold her, and pet her, several times a day. I can't really tell if she likes that, because she tends to just stay still and/or hide in the folds of the cloth that I hold her with. So I would guess that she seems to be mostly scared and not comfortable when outside her cage, but doesn't seem panicked at least, as she doesn't tend to make noises. Sometimes if I pet her she does make an unvoiced purring sound -- i.e., just a vibrating, no noticeable vocal accompaniment. She doesn't run from me in her cage when I pet her; only when I try to pick her up, but after I've got her, she doesn't fight. She eats plenty. I guess I'm kind of just asking in general, how happy/unhappy does she sound, but...

ONE PECULIAR THING IN PARTICULAR about which I'm curious is this: After I've had her out, holding her, for 5 or 10 or 20 minutes, and I'm taking her back to the bedroom and she sees/smells her cage, she starts actively sniffing the air and getting antsy. I would say it seems that she is wanting to get back into her cage (she does like to hide, so that makes sense). The funny thing is, at this time, she often starts biting my fingers -- not just a nibble, but aggressive, it would seem. My assumption at the interpretation of this is: "PUT ME BACK IN MY CAGE ALREADY, DAMMIT!" I suppose there is a slight chance that she actually DOESN'T want to go back to her cage, and is telling me, "NO, STOP! You're taking me back to my cage, and I'm not ready." Seems unlikely, but I suppose it just seems a little odd that she would bite me wanting to go back into her cage, when one might expect that she would be used to the fact that "this is the point where he is going to put me back in," in which case, no reason to bite. She doesn't bite me any other time, aside from a nibble now and then when she's testing if my finger is food or not (I assume).

Any insight? Thanks in advance! (Sorry for the long post, but I figure the more details the better).

Oh, and I give her guinea pig food, carrots, occasional apples and peanuts, and lots of Timothy hay. And she sneezes once in a while. Just fyi :)

Oh, right, I forgot! Pertaining to when I put her back in her cage, in addition to the odd biting beforehand, also once I put her back, she zips around her skittishly -- not running constantly all over the place, but more like *zip over here*then stand still*dart over there*stand still a second*look around nervously*dash here*zip over there*settle in*. I think that rather strange, but perhaps it's a clue to what the biting means.

Oh, and I give her guinea pig food, carrots, occasional apples and peanuts, and lots of Timothy hay. And she sneezes once in a while. Just fyi :)

Hiya and :wel:to the forum,

Its good to see that you are looking online for advice on how to make your little house guest feel more comfortable whilst staying with you. One thing though please do not feed her peanuts as they are bad for guinea pigs. We have posted a link for you below which may help you find some interesting things for her to eat safely.

If you have any other questions feel free to post on the forum and one of our members will reply.
Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading

Lisa & Ali...

Hiya and :wel:to the forum,

Its good to see that you are looking online for advice on how to make your little house guest feel more comfortable whilst staying with you. One thing though please do not feed her peanuts as they are bad for guinea pigs. We have posted a link for you below which may help you find some interesting things for her to eat safely.

If you have any other questions feel free to post on the forum and one of our members will reply.
Edible And Forbidden Veg And Fruit List With Vitamin C Grading

Lisa & Ali...

Okay, thanks!

No you musnt give her peanuts or seeds. Do you wash your hands before you pick her up so she doesn't pick up the scent of food etc & do you pick her up under her bum & under her chest, that could be another thing she may feel insecure, these may be a couple of things that are annoying her.
So have you got the Guinea pig bug, maybe thinking of getting 1 or 2

No you musnt give her peanuts or seeds. Do you wash your hands before you pick her up so she doesn't pick up the scent of food etc & do you pick her up under her bum & under her chest, that could be another thing she may feel insecure, these may be a couple of things that are annoying her.
So have you got the Guinea pig bug, maybe thinking of getting 1 or 2

Okay, thank you, I won't be giving her peanuts or seeds anymore.

My hands are usually washed of food when I pick her up, but if that is in reference to the biting issue, again, the only time she bites me is when I am taking her back to her cage. Like literally as soon as we go through the doorway into the bedroom where her cage is, she starts trying to get ahold of my finger, continually until she is in her cage. I don't mind at all when she nibbles me when I'm holding her, such as: "Is this thing food, or just your finger?" *light nibble* "Nothing tasty there." *stops nibbling*; but this is distinctly different -- harder, and repeated -- and only when approaching the cage. I don't so much mind being bitten; I just want to understand her better.

Yes I do pick her up with one hand under her chest, the thumb under her head, and the other hand under her butt; she doesn't like being picked up until she is held securely, but doesn't attempt to bite when I pick her up, only when going back to the cage.

At any rate, thank you for the input!

EDIT: Oh, and I do love guinea pigs, but I'm not certain yet if I'll be getting any of my own.

Hi, I am new here, my name is Eddie. I am watching a guinea pig at my house while her family is on vacation; I have never owned or watched a guinea pig before. I've done a little reading online, but still just a beginner. It's been about a week, but I'm sure she's still confused/uncomfortable (I certainly would be!). I hear that guinea pigs are very social and like attention. I know ideally she'd have a guinea pal too; she did, but unfortunately, the other died several weeks ago. But I try to get her out, let her walk around, talk to her, hold her, and pet her, several times a day. I can't really tell if she likes that, because she tends to just stay still and/or hide in the folds of the cloth that I hold her with. So I would guess that she seems to be mostly scared and not comfortable when outside her cage, but doesn't seem panicked at least, as she doesn't tend to make noises. Sometimes if I pet her she does make an unvoiced purring sound -- i.e., just a vibrating, no noticeable vocal accompaniment. She doesn't run from me in her cage when I pet her; only when I try to pick her up, but after I've got her, she doesn't fight. She eats plenty. I guess I'm kind of just asking in general, how happy/unhappy does she sound, but...

ONE PECULIAR THING IN PARTICULAR about which I'm curious is this: After I've had her out, holding her, for 5 or 10 or 20 minutes, and I'm taking her back to the bedroom and she sees/smells her cage, she starts actively sniffing the air and getting antsy. I would say it seems that she is wanting to get back into her cage (she does like to hide, so that makes sense). The funny thing is, at this time, she often starts biting my fingers -- not just a nibble, but aggressive, it would seem. My assumption at the interpretation of this is: "PUT ME BACK IN MY CAGE ALREADY, DAMMIT!" I suppose there is a slight chance that she actually DOESN'T want to go back to her cage, and is telling me, "NO, STOP! You're taking me back to my cage, and I'm not ready." Seems unlikely, but I suppose it just seems a little odd that she would bite me wanting to go back into her cage, when one might expect that she would be used to the fact that "this is the point where he is going to put me back in," in which case, no reason to bite. She doesn't bite me any other time, aside from a nibble now and then when she's testing if my finger is food or not (I assume).

Any insight? Thanks in advance! (Sorry for the long post, but I figure the more details the better).

Hi and welcome!

You may find our new owner's information bundle helpful; you can find guides that give you detailed answers to most of your questions, especially the ones about instincts, biting and the diet thread.
Your girl is indeed very keen to get back home; tweaking is a way to show displeasure.

It is great that you are caring for her so well! I hope that her owners are willing to find her a new companion.

We have one that bites when my DH puts her back, always has

Pardon my ignorance, but I don't know what a DH is. But that is good to know that it is at least "a thing" that happens, and not just one weird inexplicable case, whatever reason it might be.

I honestly don't think they're bright enough to understand the concept of waiting a few seconds. They're very much creatures that do and want things now.

All of mine get antsy when they're in the same room as their cage. I think it's because they can sense it's there and they know that it's safe in there with everything they want.

If I take them out of the room they settle alot more for lap time or floor time.

One of them gets so wiggly when he gets back in the room. We say he's like a slippery piece of soap.

We tend to carry him inside a bed or something so there's no chance of him falling.

I honestly don't think they're bright enough to understand the concept of waiting a few seconds. They're very much creatures that do and want things now.

All of mine get antsy when they're in the same room as their cage. I think it's because they can sense it's there and they know that it's safe in there with everything they want.

If I take them out of the room they settle alot more for lap time or floor time.

One of them gets so wiggly when he gets back in the room. We say he's like a slippery piece of soap.

We tend to carry him inside a bed or something so there's no chance of him falling.

That makes perfect sense. That's what I was indicating as my best guess as well. "I see my home! I smell my home! I know we're near! Put me back! Now!" ... and in my case, *chomp* :)

mine usually start to nibble & get all fidgety when they need a wee, usually reversing just before the deed is done! it signifies wet lap time if i'm not quick enough! :oops:
the excitement of the sight of there box or towel is often enough to trigger an episode!

either that or one of mine has a tickley spot & nibbles my fingernails & skin when you touch a certain spot on her rump, she always has done ever since i've had them, its sometimes a bit painful but kind of cute at the same time :wub:

xx

mine usually start to nibble & get all fidgety when they need a wee, usually reversing just before the deed is done! it signifies wet lap time if i'm not quick enough! :oops:
the excitement of the sight of there box or towel is often enough to trigger an episode!

either that or one of mine has a tickley spot & nibbles my fingernails & skin when you touch a certain spot on her rump, she always has done ever since i've had them, its sometimes a bit painful but kind of cute at the same time :wub:

xx

That's a very interesting theory!

Seeing home -> Desire to go home, and expectation of going there -> Excitement -> Necessity to urinate -> Desire to signal the need to urinate -> Biting

A very indirect effect of biting caused by seeing her home. By no means must this be accurate, but it's certainly interesting, plausible, and insightful! Thanks for the input!

It sounds to me like her wriggling and biting is her saying fairly desperately "put me back, put me back now!".
The keeping very still and trying to hide and vibrating on your lap all sound like fear reactions to me.

Regarding food, definitely read the link posted above. Carrot ia high is sugar and should not be given more than 2-3 times a week, in small quantities. Rather give things like bell pepper, lettuce (just not iceberg lettuce), celery (cut into slices), a little cucumber etc.

Yep, mine go mad when I take them back to their room.They seem desperate to get back into their cage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back