Guinea Pigs Fighting Or Finding Their Place?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LilyS12

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, had my 2 guinea pigs (sows-9weeks) for 2 weeks now, and I'm concerned that they don't get on! They were living together when I got them, so were put straight in the hutch together. They seem ok, but sometimes I notice the larger one kind of purrs in an aggressive way to the other one if she goes near her sometimes. They also chase each other around a lot, but to me it doesn't look like it's in a playful way. Is this normal? Thank you!

This does sound normal. My 2 still do that every so often especially when they're in heat. I think I would only worry if it was so bad that one of the pigs wasn't getting any food/water or rest time

Thank you. They both get plenty of food/water etc, so I don't think there's a major problem, it just sounds a bit aggressive sometimes! I'm hoping it will calm down in a few weeks when they are more settled

I've had my 2 girls for almost a year now. When I first put them together there was a lot of rumblestrutting and ear nips, it's just their way of sorting out dominance.
There's a lot of good threads on here about sows behaviour what's normal and what's not.

Even now my two still have their moments. Beans was always the top pig but a few weeks ago there was a change in the hierarchy and now Toast is the top pig, every now and again Beans will challenge it.
But they both still get their fair share of food and water and hidey houses so it's nothing to worry about:)

Sows come into season very frequently and this leads to chasing, rumbling etc. all sounds normal to me. Have you read our sow behaviour thread? Sow Behaviour

Sounds normal behaviour particularly when they come into season.
Piggies have a hierarchy and they show this even more in season.
Id be more concerned if either or is being picked on consistently, sometimes a extra hide away is all that is needed.

Thanks all. I have to say I don't think the undersow (Gini) seems particularly bothered by the more dominant(Cookie) one's behaviour as she follows her around everywhere and isn't afraid to pinch food from her mouth sometimes! Cookie is the only one who rumble struts and chases though so I guess she will become boss Piggy!

Mine have lived together since they were babies, and I think they are both coming into season, so today there has been a lot more rumbling and shrieking between them than normal.
I liken it to how my kids behave sometimes!

It sounds normal... just dominance behaviors that reinforce the hierarchy. With girls you may notice this more when one is in season.

Yes, as it turns out the bossy piggie was in season as I saw her mounting poor Gini a day after I posted this! It freaked me out at first, then I read it is normal behaviour! She has calmed down loads now, and they seem content in each others company (apart from the odd 'get away from me' nudge from Cookie) so fingers crossed all is well :-)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back