• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pigs eye swollen?!

elliejohnson678.

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

It's currently (23:30pm) in the UK and this morning I was feeding my baby boy Bertie some treats and then a couple hours later he came out and his eye was swollen..
He had an accident on the 6th August and he had fallen off my sofa (I've posted the full story before) and his eye did the same thing and I seen the vet the same day and they gave him an injection and all was good.
I've seen images of HayPoke injuries and this doesn't look the same but I could just be anxious as I worry so much about my guinea pigs. They are my world. There aren't any vets open at this time and my boyfriend thinks he's okay and will heal himself.. but could this be more serious?
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much 🤍
- Ellie x

Attachments

• IMG_9213.webp
    IMG_9213.webp
    28.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9212.webp
    IMG_9212.webp
    37.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9208.webp
    IMG_9208.webp
    14.5 KB · Views: 1
He is still eating, I gave him some sneaky extra nuggets just now to see if he would eat them. My Bertie loves his nuggets! I took these pictures just now. I also held him before this post and he was biting my neck and pulling my skin really hard which was unusual.. he must be in pain. His brother is also being strange with him and trying to cuddle but he keeps grinding his teeth a lot which I've never heard. I am worried sick..

Attachments

• IMG_9221.webp
    IMG_9221.webp
    22.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_9218.webp
    IMG_9218.webp
    17.7 KB · Views: 1
I’m sorry to hear this.

Please do have him seen by a vet again today. This is not something that should be left without being checked

Make sure you switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh him daily so that you can monitor that he is actually eating enough hay, hay intake can’t be monitored by eye and any reduction in hay intake will cause weight loss meaning you could need to step in with syringe feeding. Any pain can stop from eating enough. He is grinding teeth then he may have pain and mean he may not be eating enough hay.

(To add, in the UK we have a 24 hour emergency vet service so you can see a vet at any time of day or night on any day of the week if necessary and it’s an emergency)

Hello everyone,

It's currently (23:30pm) in the UK and this morning I was feeding my baby boy Bertie some treats and then a couple hours later he came out and his eye was swollen..
He had an accident on the 6th August and he had fallen off my sofa (I've posted the full story before) and his eye did the same thing and I seen the vet the same day and they gave him an injection and all was good.
I've seen images of HayPoke injuries and this doesn't look the same but I could just be anxious as I worry so much about my guinea pigs. They are my world. There aren't any vets open at this time and my boyfriend thinks he's okay and will heal himself.. but could this be more serious?
Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you so much 🤍
- Ellie x

Hi

The eye looks a bit drawn in and painful to me? Please contact your vets once they are open.
As long as there is no bleeding in the eye, it is not an out-of-hours emergency.

:agr: Tooth grinding and a smaller drawn in eye are both signs of pain so please do have him seen by a vet today if at all possible.

Hello everyone thank you for all of your replies. I have rang my vet and I have an appointment today for my little boy.. I make myself sick with worry when it comes to my piggies. My gut tells me I need to get him to the vet and that is what I will do! I will update later when I've had him seen.. thank you everyone.
🩷

Hi

The eye looks a bit drawn in and painful to me? Please contact your vets once they are open.
As long as there is no bleeding in the eye, it is not an out-of-hours emergency.
Thank you! I did not know we had this here but now that I know, I will be able to go as and when needed. Thank you! X

Hello everyone thank you for all of your replies. I have rang my vet and I have an appointment today for my little boy.. I make myself sick with worry when it comes to my piggies. My gut tells me I need to get him to the vet and that is what I will do! I will update later when I've had him seen.. thank you everyone.
🩷
Good luck at the vets.

You may want to bookmark these two links here, which are there to help members work out whether they are dealing with an emergency and how urgent the emergency is. The panic is naturally always much greater when it happens overnight or on a weekend/bank holiday. We also have memers and enquiries from all over the world and different time zones so our guides are still there and accessible via the extended top bar during our forum down time.

We have also got a very useful New Owners information collection, which also includes chapter for learning what is normal and what not, spotting early signs of illness and our emergency advice but a lot more very practical guides into which coming up to 20 years of our collective forum experience with literally hundreds of thousands of questions have gone into.
Another one for for bokmarking, browsing, reading and rereading at need since you will pick up on different things at different levels of experience. I have tried my best to make the guides as clear and precise in all the sticky little areas that can trip up a newbie.

Back