Guinea Pigs came home today - is this normal?

• Thread starter Thread starter mamapie
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mamapie

They have buried themselves and are not remotely interested in anything, they've been home about 3 hours now. We haven't tried to touch them, thinking they would be best off to settle and get used to the new smells etc but they just aren't moving at all!

Is that normal?

It does take some piggies along time to settle. It is normal, 3hrs isn't that long at all. They will slowly come out, but then when they hear or see you they will dart away again! It just takes time & patience but is worth it once they settle down & get used to their new home & you ;)

Yes, try not to take it personally! I just tried to imagine how utterly terrified I would be if I had been in their situation with huge creatures standing over me (no matter how kindly!) in a new strange place - I think I would hide for hours too! As Sian said lots of time and patience will help - they are truly wonderful little beings to observe and care for :smitten:

Thank you both!

I just started to worry that they went into shock or something. 98)

No that is perfectly normal as has been said. Give them time to settle in and try to approach them from their level rather than standing over them. Get them used to you by talking to them gently and putting your hand in when leaving food etc...they will soon realise that you means food!

Well they're still hiding and haven't had any food or water - I picked them up around 2pm so they've had nothing since then. Is that ok?

Yes I'm worrying! I feel like I did when my children were first born. :D

Yes its normal,You will probably find they will come out in the early hours of the morning and have something to eat while it is quiet

Trust me, when all is quiet (probably when you've gone to bed) they will come out and have a nibble. Dont worry ;)

Thanks again - I feel I need handholding. lol

*resists temptation to set up web cam to check in the morning* ;)

I'm looking after my sister's 2 guineas at the moment, they've been here about a week and they still disappear when they hear me coming!

Food is a great healer though to a guinea! You'll know where they've been because they'll leave you little presents! ^-^

Guineas are naturally nervous, just keep that in mind and dont expect too much! ;D ;D

They will be fine, hunger will overcome in the end! DId you get them from Christine?

mine took about 24 hours to come out of hiding on their own,,keep the first few days quiet and gradually turn the tv or radio up,, mine soon got used to the louder times when my family where around them..we still have to approach from the side of cage instead of hovering over it.. ive had mine about 3 weeks now and they still hide now and again..I'm still learning

Yes I got them from Christine! My eldest daughter wanted to take home all the dogs too. lol

We the vegetables were everywhere when we got up this morning and they've swapped houses. No water was drunk though and this worries me...is that ok?

Ah - ok! Well one of them certainly went at the food last night so that's ok.

Thanks again!

you put they have come home. where have they been? to a holiday boarding place or you just got them didnt understand

Oh right sorry. I got them yesterday from the Animal Lifeline Rescue centre in Sutton. Christine said they were well etc so there were no special things to keep in mind. Is that what you were wondering?

yes lol. it will take them awhile to settle in to their new home. as long as they have peace and quiet for a while. also did they have hay in the carrier you brought them home in? put that in with them as it will have familar smells to them that might help them too.

Yes, Christine from AL put a big handful of their hay in with them and I've put it in there with them. At AL their hutch was at the bottom of the garden and I've got 2 kids so I think it's probably a big shock for them! The children are being as quiet as they can be and not poking them - but they're my first GPs and I'm worrying!

Thanks for all the replies.

oh oh oh oh oh they both just came out for the first time ever with us awake and are eating hay. :smitten:

my dom was like that for days, he came out at night for a bit of cucumber. it was like you said he seemed to be in shock. then he met buffy, my dog and he wheeked so loud it hurt my ears. he was so happy he'd made a friend and never looked back :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back