Guinea pigs arguing?

Kjj18

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi I recently posted about my guinea pigs and about how I wasn’t thinking they were getting along and I kept hearing noises from the cage but I wasn’t sure which one it was so I put my phone on record and this happened I’m really not sure what to do is this even normal I feel so bad for them if there arguing this has been happening all morning and early hours of the night

Hi I recently posted about my guinea pigs and about how I wasn’t thinking they were getting along and I kept hearing noises from the cage but I wasn’t sure which one it was so I put my phone on record and this happened I’m really not sure what to do is this even normal I feel so bad for them if there arguing this has been happening all morning and early hours of the night
the video Isn’t loading on there not sure how to do it but the guinea pig out of no where they were just sitting by each other went for the other one

The video maybe too long to load, mine failed yesterday, you attach file, by photo and post.

Are they boars or sows? How old are they?
They are sows they about a year old but I’ve only them for about a month now and they just seem to keep arguing and I’ll try to upload it again thankyou

Post crossed I think - I see you provided more information about their ages etc

What is their cage size?
Do all hides have two exits?

I’ve looked back on your other post as well.

I see I asked what your cage size was in your other thread but you didn’t give any measurements. If you could confirm the measurements for your cage, then that can help give us a bit more insight.

It seems you got them from a private seller. The issue is that some people are economical with the truth - rehoming due to piggies being unwell but not telling the new owner; rehoming them because their bond is failing but the original owner doesn’t mention this so the new owner finds themselves in a position where the piggies actually don’t like each other

As i say, you need to upload any video to YouTube first and then post a link to it here. We cannot host video directly onto the forum.

Obviously until we can see a video, we can’t comment in detail but If there is an issue and this isn’t normal dominance (bearing in mind sows come into season every 15 days or so and during this time you will see an increase in dominance, then a temporary separation followed by neutral territory reintroduction to let the piggies make up their mind about whether they want to be together

You need to upload any video to YouTube first and then post a link to it here. We cannot host video directly on the forum.
Oh okay thankyou
Post crossed I think - I see you provided more information about their ages etc

What is their cage size?
Do all hides have two exits?
I have like a large cage not too sure about the size of it I’ll have to check on that website and like a large play pen type of thing attached to it so they can go out anytime and yeah that have hide outs with two exits :)

I’ve looked back on your other post as well.

I see I asked what your cage size was in your other thread but you didn’t give any measurements. If you could confirm the measurements for your cage, then that can help give us a bit more insight.

It seems you got them from a private seller. The issue is that some people are economical with the truth - rehoming due to piggies being unwell but not telling the new owner; rehoming them because their bond is failing but the original owner doesn’t mention this so the new owner finds themselves in a position where the piggies actually don’t like each other

As i say, you need to upload any video to YouTube first and then post a link to it here. We cannot host video directly onto the forum.

Obviously until we can see a video, we can’t comment in detail but If there is an issue and this isn’t normal dominance (bearing in mind sows come into season every 15 days or so and during this time you will see an increase in dominance, then a temporary separation followed by neutral territory reintroduction to let the piggies make up their mind about whether they want to be together
I think the measurements are 52 x120 I’m not sure if I’m reading it right the cage is small for them both that’s why the play pen is attached to it But I’ve just ordered them c&c cage so just waiting on that to come so there more space for them both and I will try and upload the video too Thankyou

If there is a good sized playpen attached they have 24/7 access to then that is good because 120x52 isnt big enough on its own. 120x60 is the smallest size they should be in, but 150x60 or a 2x4 c&c is the recommended size for two sows

Once you get the video on, it will give us a better idea of what you are seeing, but otherwise, the guides below may explain how to assess whether a relationship is functioning

Bonds In Trouble
Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

If there is a good sized playpen attached they have 24/7 access to then that is good because 120x52 isnt big enough on its own. 120x60 is the smallest size they should be in, but 150x60 or a 2x4 c&c is the recommended size for two sows

Once you get the video on, it will give us a better idea of what you are seeing, but otherwise, the guides below may explain how to assess whether a relationship is functioning

Bonds In Trouble
Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours
Aw okay thankyou I’ve just posted the video hope you can see it now

That looks like the white one was giving the other a warning/didn’t want the brown one on her. In itself, that one incident wouldn’t be hugely concerning if that is what was happening, but it depends on what other incidents you have seen, if things are escalating etc

Is the behaviour like that constant?
Is there constant, relentless chasing and mounting?
Are both their weights stable at each weekly weight check?

Last edited:
That looks like the white one was giving the other a warning/didn’t want the brown one on her. In itself, that one incident wouldn’t be hugely concerning if that is what was happening, but it depends on what other incidents you have seen, if things are escalating etc

Is the behaviour like that constant?
Is there constant, relentless chasing and mounting?
Are both their weights stable at each weekly weight check?
It does happen quite a lot I’m always hearing loud squeaking noises just always not sure what’s happened or who’s done it they don’t chase each other or anything sometimes the one of them does try sit on the other one

Loud squeaking could just be submission which is absolutely fine.
Sitting on/mounting is also normal behaviour

Do give the bonds in trouble guide a read (linked in above) and see if anything in there can give you more insight

Back