Guinea Pigs are Eating Aspen Bedding

A Guinea Pig

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
As I’m writing this, the guinea pigs are actively eating Aspen bedding. 😬 I got a large bag of aspen shavings for the piggies to try out and use since I am going on vacation (in a while). I set up their 3 by 8 C&C cage with all of their hideouts, litter boxes, water bowls, water bottles, and some toys. The next thing I do is scatter their pellets and veggies. I look back at them thinking they are chewing the pellets, but boy was I wrong! They are eating the shavings! It's been 30 minutes now and I have tried to find an answer to this as well as the other guinea pig forum but I can't. I'll watch them for a bit and the next couple days and make sure they are acting normally. I will say that they are starting to slow down on their munching of the bedding but I still don't know why they are doing this. I'm glad I tried this out beforehand though.🫣

I use disposable bedding and one of mine does nibble at it but I tend to cover all of it with hay so he does eventually stop finding the bedding and goes back to the hay

Back