• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pigs and fleas

lauryn1289

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everybody, sorry if this post is inappropriate because it’s about guinea pigs but also not EXCLUSIVELY about guinea pigs. Basically my cat Miss Keisha is having recurring issues with hair loss that one of my vets now thinks could actually be caused by irritation from a flea allergy. She’s a fully indoor cat so the only real options are the dogs might be bringing fleas in, apparently it only takes a single bit of flea saliva lol.

So my question is; can guinea pigs really harbour fleas? First step is defleaing my cat and the dogs but it got me wondering could my boys Ollie and Eggs possibly be transmission vectors too? I googled and looked through posts on here and lots of sources say yes piggies can have fleas and lots of sources say no piggies aren’t gonna have fleas. My cat lives in my room with me and the boys, she even sits in the cage to chat with the boys (they like her😂) a lot I’m just puzzled on whether to (somehow) include them in the Great Deflea-ing since every answer seemed to be different on likelihood

Flea are species specific and there are no guinea pig fleas. Whilst a flea may hop onto a piggy it won't live in it. Be careful using dog or cat flea killers on or around piggies as they contain ingredients that are harmful to guinea pigs.

Posted together!

Thank you guys! That’s what I figured but kept seeing conflicting info. At most I was planning to just give the boys a bath if fleas were a possibility but I think they’d rather not so that’s fine by them (and me) if they don’t need one

Back