Guinea Pigs And Cats

Celine298

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
There has been a massive influx of cats in our local scantury lately, most rescued from research facilities. I considering getting one but obviously it's risky with them being natural hunters and rodents being their prey.
Has anyone got any feedback on how their other pets get along with guinea pigs?

It is almost impossible to say as it will vary from cat to cat, but unless you have a surefire way of keeping the two totally separate I wouldn't risk having a cat in the house with guinea pigs.

In addition I would be slightly wary about a local sanctuary claiming to have lots of cats from research facilities - cat research isn't particulary widespread in the UK, and the harsh reality is that most cats used for research will not be rehomed to the general public, so a 'massive influx' from a research facility is unlikely.

Well I'm living in ireland and these animals are in the ISPCA centre, most of the dogs are beagles which are a popular breed for research centres.
We haven't made any decisions yet but I like to hope they would get along if they're raised together :)

Obviously I wouldn't recommend ever letting the cat near the guinea pigs but I don't see why you cannot have a cat in the same house. :) perhaps just don't allow it in the same room as the pigs- especially if the cage has no roof. I myself have quite a zoo- not a cat at present (used to have 3 and I can safely say they make wonderful pets) but I will definitely have more in the future. I have a dog who like a cat could pose a threat to my guinea pigs. I keep their cage up off the ground where my dog cannot reach them and she is never allowed in my room alone- not that she ventures in there much anyway. :)

Unless cats have grown up from kittens around guinea pigs and been properly socialized with them from a very young age they will regard them as prey and have a strong drive to hunt them.

My two cats have been around piggies all their lives and can be trusted not to harm them, in fact they will run away from them! but this is definitely NOT how most cats would behave.

Back