Guinea pigs and a rabbit

Nikolapalak

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,

I’ve got two guinea pigs and I was just wondering if it’s ok to get a rabbit as well? Of course I wouldn’t keep them in the same cage or close to each other, they would literally only be in the same flat. I wouldn’t let them be with each other at all. Are there any risks with them being in the same flat?

Thanks

Nope, as long as they won’t be together at all I think it should be fine, I have loads of other animals in the same house and my guinea pigs don’t care

I keep rabbits and guinea pigs. Mine (buns and pigs) are outside (piggies in a shed). I just make sure that I tend to the pigs before I go to the rabbit, make sure I have separate equipment so there is no cross contamination of urine etc. It’s easier for me with them being outside because the are at other ends of the garden. Keeping them in close quarters is a risk, but if you can keep them in separate rooms than that would help.

Bear in mind though that rabbits need to be kept in pairs as well (male and female bonding are best. It’s hard to keep two male rabbits and two females can sometimes be tricky but are easier than two males). Rabbits cage/space requirements are larger than piggies and rabbits can be destructive when out of the cage so do bear that in mind.

Last edited:
As far as I know Rabbits can carry diseases that are dangerous to guinea pigs. Rabbits and guinea pigs should never be together because a rabbit can unintentionally kick a guinea pig which can lead to injury including paralysis. There is a thread on this forum about a poor piggie called Bugzy who lost the use of his back legs because he was kept with a rabbit. I adopted a piggie and rabbit who lived together back in the 60’s. The piggie was bald on her back by being constantly mated by the rabbit which was very stressful and painful for the piggie, they were separated promptly x

Enjoy your piggies x

As far as I know Rabbits can carry diseases that are dangerous to guinea pigs. Rabbits and guinea pigs should never be together because a rabbit can unintentionally kick a guinea pig which can lead to injury including paralysis. There is a thread on this forum about a poor piggie called Bugzy who lost the use of his back legs because he was kept with a rabbit. I adopted a piggie and rabbit who lived together back in the 60’s. The piggie was bald on her back by being constantly mated by the rabbit which was very stressful and painful for the piggie, they were separated promptly x

Enjoy your piggies x
I don’t think the intention was to keep them together, just in the same flat

I’ve never kept multiple rabbits at once? I thought a pair was optional

No, not optional, they should be in pairs.
My five year old is antisocial though and much to my disappointment he is a single fella and enjoying the bachelor life! I’d love him to have a wife, but he isn’t having any of it!

I'm sure its the same with most rodents, except certain hamsters. Syrian i think? I say rodents but isnt there a debate that guinea pigs and rabbits could not be rodents? Rabbits are lagamorpha?

As others have said, it's possible to have rabbits and gpigs at the same time, but rabbits especially need space to run about, it's not fair to keep them in a hutch/cage 24/7. If you live in a flat, do you have space to let them roam about? And don't forget vet bills - rabbits need annual vaccination s against VHD and myxamatosis, as well as neutering/spaying.

Thanks for your replies.
I’m just unsure what to do. It’s my mums rabbit that she’s had for about a year, she’s absolutely gorgeous and so lovely to people and other animals. The issue is my mum is kinda uneducated when it comes to rabbits and other small animals so the rabbit doesn’t really get enough attention. My mum just got a puppy as well and she’s preoccupied with her dog and the puppy and the rabbit gets absolutely zero attention. She’s left on her own under a table trying to get out and watching the dogs play with my mum. She also doesn’t get any hey at all because my mum is convinced she doesn’t need it because everything she needs is in the nuggets despite me explaining that it’s definitely not and she needs an unlimited supply of hey and a lot of veg. The rabbit gets one bowl of nuggets a day and that’s it and my mum won’t listen to me. She lets her run around in the garden sometime where she spent the summer. It just breaks my heart every time I come to my mums and I know the rabbit would be better off with me but I wasn’t sure whether it’s wise as I have two guinea pigs already.

I keep my 5 year old rabbit with my 5 year old guinea pig but only when I'm around to keep an eye on them but then my two have a bond because my guinea pig try to get milk from rabbit but has long as your careful you such be ok my are both in my bedroom !

Sounds like the rabbit would be better off with you, I agree!
We have a house bunny and all of our piggies are indoors too. Miley lives with our permanent three pigs (not together but in the same room). Never had a problem :)

2B4B27E3-543F-4495-A004-F6D5C8361842.webp

Cheeky bunny she is :)

Poor rabbit! Hope you do manage to get her. Pellets need a different frinding action to hay so both help with wearing teeth down. Rabbits need unlimited hay just as you said.

Also rabbits value the companionship of their own kind above food. My inddor pair are rarely apart and my four outdoor rabbits almost always lie together in a big rabbity cuddled up pile!

Poor rabbit! Hope you do manage to get her. Pellets need a different frinding action to hay so both help with wearing teeth down. Rabbits need unlimited hay just as you said.

Also rabbits value the companionship of their own kind above food. My inddor pair are rarely apart and my four outdoor rabbits almost always lie together in a big rabbity cuddled up pile!
I absolutely love how rabbits lay down. So chilled 😎 ive spotted a few black wild rabbits and one black wild squirrel. I take it the rabbit was wild, it was in a large group grazing on an industrial estate

Last edited by a moderator:
Back