• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig With Ongoing Respiratory Problems :(

Natalie S

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Since October 1st my guinea pig Mickey has had issues, first it was her breathing making my vet believe she had a URI meaning antibiotics for a week, from there she seemed fine but started getting problems again with breathing a sound of a stuffy nose when she breathed so I brought her to the vet again, and from there she prescribed me two weeks of antibiotics for Mickey, I only gave her one week of the antibiotic due to knowing that too much isn’t good for a guinea pig and she seemed like she was fine. Then I’m here again in this situation where she’s having the breathing problem again. I don’t know what to do I don’t want to keep going to the vet to just get antibiotics that are bad for her intestines and that will sooner or later give no effect to her. I try giving her vitamin c now two times a day. She has breathing problems I just don’t know if it’s maybe allergies or what, I just don’t think it can still be a URI, please help me

She’s also seems to eat fine and drink fine so that not problems I just get worried from the breathing

Sorry but your Vet was correct in giving her two weeks of antibiotics! Some respiratory diseases are more difficult to get rid of so this is why 2 weeks would have been suggested.
Yes, antibiotics can cause gut problems so you should give the piggy probiotics an hour before the antibiotics. I’d get in touch again with your Vet and get them to explain a bit more about the treatment.
Olbas oil applied to a piece of fleece or bedding and placed near the piggy can also help. I used a snugglesafe heat pad and put a few drops onto this and placed under some hay near to mine when breathing problems.

I agree with what Janice said. 2 weeks of antibiotics would have been suggested to get rid of the bugs properly (its a balance but sometimes it can take longer than 2 weeks to fully sort a URI). One of mine recently had a recurring URI - they can be hard to get rid of. And yes they may cause tummy issues (which I am now sorting) but I take the view that I would rather be sorting out gut issues on an otherwise healthy guinea pig.

You could ask if it is worth nebulising to assist the antibiotics.

Go back to the vet, support with bio-lapis or other pro biotic and hopefully you will clear it.

Since October 1st my guinea pig Mickey has had issues, first it was her breathing making my vet believe she had a URI meaning antibiotics for a week, from there she seemed fine but started getting problems again with breathing a sound of a stuffy nose when she breathed so I brought her to the vet again, and from there she prescribed me two weeks of antibiotics for Mickey, I only gave her one week of the antibiotic due to knowing that too much isn’t good for a guinea pig and she seemed like she was fine. Then I’m here again in this situation where she’s having the breathing problem again. I don’t know what to do I don’t want to keep going to the vet to just get antibiotics that are bad for her intestines and that will sooner or later give no effect to her. I try giving her vitamin c now two times a day. She has breathing problems I just don’t know if it’s maybe allergies or what, I just don’t think it can still be a URI, please help me

Please always follow your vet's prescriptions and DO NOT skimp on antibiotic courses. If the antibiotic doesn't have any impact at all after one week or it comes back again as soon as you stop (or shortly after), please see your vet again and discuss alternative avenues to investigate. This may be a different antibiotic or investigating other potential causes.
My own guinea pigs often needed 2-3 weeks of an antibiotic to get on top of a respiratory infection; the symptoms would go away only in the second week and then they needed some more days to make sure that the infection would be cleared fully.
I have got guinea pigs of mine on several months of a much stronger antibiotic. It has made the difference between putting to sleep and living 5 1/2 years longer to nearly 7 years of age. Soft poos and support syringe feed during part of it where something I didn't mind at all. It didn't do any permanent damage considering that the piggy in question lived the equivalent of over 50 healthy human years longer. ;)

A one week course can often be too short to clear an URI. As URI can kill or permanently damage the airways if it is un- or undertreated, coping with a temporary tummy upset is sufficient reason to abort the antibiotic. I have adopted a guinea pig that was finally after two years of respiratory issues diagnosed with both upper and lower lung disease due to a not properly cured URI earlier in life.

In order to bolster the guts, you can give a pinch of probiotics either 1 hour before (US recommendation) or 1-2 hours after you give the antibiotic. You can get probiotics from a pet shop or order a god brand online.
Probiotics, Recovery Foods And Vitamin C: Overview With Product Links

Please have her vet checked to see whether she has still got a residual bacterial infection or whether you need to research for sensitivites to hay dust, pollen or perfumed products with your vet.

It's possible the antibiotics were not given long enough since the 2-week course wasn't finished, or it's possible the antibiotic was a poor match for the bacteria and hence didn't completely clear the problem. We went through this with Hadley last winter- she had noisy breathing, no other symptoms. She improved on Septra, but relapsed once it was stopped. She took another 2 weeks of Septra, but again relapsed once it was stopped. We switched to Baytril for another 2-week course and that one did the trick. It's definitely worth another vet visit to get a complete course of antibiotics, or to switch them up and get a different one. Taking a full course of a guinea-pig-safe antibiotic will not harm your piggie, though sometimes some antibiotics that are safe will upset their gut a bit and you an give probiotics to counteract that.

You will need to take her back to the vet. And you will need to explain to the vet exactly how many days of AB you gave to her and when you stopped so that the vet can decide whether to give another course of the same AB or a different one or to try some other treatment.

Sometimes a 2 - 3 week course is necessary to kill all the infection off. My own piggies have needed this at times if an infection is stubborn. Please don’t overrule your vet and stop giving a prescribed treatment. Your vet is qualified to make decisions about treatment that with the best will in the world you aren’t qualified to make.

You will need to take her back to the vet. And you will need to explain to the vet exactly how many days of AB you give to her and when you stopped so that the vet can decide whether to give another course of the same AB or a different one or to try some other treatment.

Sometimes a 2 - 3 week course is necessary to kill all the infection off. My own piggies have needed this at times if an infection is stubborn. Please don’t overrule your vet and stop giving a prescribed treatment. Your vet is qualified to make decisions about treatment that with the best will in the world you aren’t qualified to make.

The situation was that the vet I went to in the first place gave me a week prescription which my guinea pig rescue place I got my guinea pig at said was incorrect since it should have been a 2 week long medication. Then I went to a different vet again and when she saw Mickey she said she was perfectly fine even if I still heard her breathing issues, but then I told her the issues with the other vet so she said if I rea
Please always follow your vet's prescriptions and DO NOT skimp on antibiotic courses. If the antibiotic doesn't have any impact at all after one week or it comes back again as soon as you stop (or shortly after), please see your vet again and discuss alternative avenues to investigate. This may be a different antibiotic or investigating other potential causes.
My own guinea pigs often needed 2-3 weeks of an antibiotic to get on top of a respiratory infection; the symptoms would go away only in the second week and then they needed some more days to make sure that the infection would be cleared fully.
I have got guinea pigs of mine on several months of a much stronger antibiotic. It has made the difference between putting to sleep and living 5 1/2 years longer to nearly 7 years of age. Soft poos and support syringe feed during part of it where something I didn't mind at all. It didn't do any permanent damage considering that the piggy in question lived the equivalent of over 50 healthy human years longer. ;)

A one week course can often be too short to clear an URI. As URI can kill or permanently damage the airways if it is un- or undertreated, coping with a temporary tummy upset is sufficient reason to abort the antibiotic. I have adopted a guinea pig that was finally after two years of respiratory issues diagnosed with both upper and lower lung disease due to a not properly cured URI earlier in life.

In order to bolster the guts, you can give a pinch of probiotics either 1 hour before (US recommendation) or 1-2 hours after you give the antibiotic. You can get probiotics from a pet shop or order a god brand online.

Please have her vet checked to see whether she has still got a residual bacterial infection or whether you need to research for sensitivites to hay dust, pollen or perfumed products with your vet.

You will need to take her back to the vet. And you will need to explain to the vet exactly how many days of AB you give to her and when you stopped so that the vet can decide whether to give another course of the same AB or a different one or to try some other treatment.

The situation was that the vet I went to in the first place gave me a week prescription which my guinea pig rescue place I got my guinea pig at said was incorrect since it should have been a 2 week long medication. Then I went to a different vet again and when she saw Mickey she said she was perfectly fine even if I still heard her breathing issues, she wanted to send her home with nothing, but then I told her the issues with the other vet so she said if it was really concerning she would prescribe it just at a lower dosage. I don’t know if it’s just an allergy thing with her bedding considering it’s just her nose, I’m not sure Even the vet said it could be the bedding that affects her

:agr: With all the guys above - always finish a course of antibiotics to ensure the bug is really gone and to prevent resistance building up.
What bedding does she have? Our lad Hero had recurring respiratory issues, so we swapped him onto VetBed and he's never looked back :)

If you look for environmental factors, you are looking at hay, bedding (depending on what you are using), air fresheners and scented candles, perfumes, air conditioning and radiator heat... It is a trial and error process to find what is causing the obstruction in the narrow airways that guinea pigs have.

If you are concerned your vets aren't that knowledgeable you could ask the rescue which vet they use and you might have better luck with being happy with the service and standard of care you receive. I asked a local rescue that I hadn't rehomed from when I first got piggies and knowing there's a knowledgeable practice close by has been a godsend

:agr: With all the guys above - always finish a course of antibiotics to ensure the bug is really gone and to prevent resistance building up.
What bedding does she have? Our lad Hero had recurring respiratory issues, so we swapped him onto VetBed and he's never looked back :)
At first she had wood chip bedding, now I changed it to the clean and cozy one, I’m thinking of putting her onto like blanket

The fact that it helped makes me wonder if it is infection but wrong antibiotics or too short a course. It's impossible to tell as we aren't there.

The fact that it helped makes me wonder if it is infection but wrong antibiotics or too short a course. It's impossible to tell as we aren't there.
I don’t want to keep going to the vet and getting the same medication, not even only that they either give me the medication if I say something or they will just send me home with nothing.

I don’t want to keep going to the vet and getting the same medication, not even only that they either give me the medication if I say something or they will just send me home with nothing.

I can understand that, I don't know what to suggest as you don't have a diagnosis. It could very well still be a URI as they can be tricky to clear (I am about to stop nebulising one of mine who has had 2 courses of antibiotics and I know I will be watching her for 2 weeks after intently in case it returns), it may be something else. It does however sound like despite trying 2 vets you haven't found the right one for you. Is there anyone else you can take the piggy to?

I can understand that, I don't know what to suggest as you don't have a diagnosis. It could very well still be a URI as they can be tricky to clear (I am about to stop nebulising one of mine who has had 2 courses of antibiotics and I know I will be watching her for 2 weeks after intently in case it returns), it may be something else. It does however sound like despite trying 2 vets you haven't found the right one for you. Is there anyone else you can take the piggy to?
I’m going to recall the Guiena pig rescue place I got her at and ask about the situation. She’s doing fine so far with eating and drinking, I even changed her cage to give her different bedding just Incase maybe she had allergies to that

If she came from a rescue perhaps ask them which vet they use and ask to see their vet?

Hi,

My Guinea Pig Lily is having ongoing respiratory issues and she’s had antibiotics for ten days initially and has been prescribed a further 6 week course. She does however have a chronic problem due to the uri being left untreated by her previous owner.

The vet advice was that it was great to see an improvement after ten days but she needed a much longer course to try and clear the infection completely.

After a follow up appointment today, I’ve also been advised to use a nebuliser to clear the mucus from her airways.

The best advice I can give is to listen to your vet and if they prescribe a longer course, then they’ve done this for the right reasons. I hope your Guinea Pig gets better soon.

Hi,

My Guinea Pig Lily is having ongoing respiratory issues and she’s had antibiotics for ten days initially and has been prescribed a further 6 week course. She does however have a chronic problem due to the uri being left untreated by her previous owner.

The vet advice was that it was great to see an improvement after ten days but she needed a much longer course to try and clear the infection completely.

After a follow up appointment today, I’ve also been advised to use a nebuliser to clear the mucus from her airways.

The best advice I can give is to listen to your vet and if they prescribe a longer course, then they’ve done this for the right reasons. I hope your Guinea Pig gets better soon.
T
Hi,

i ended up calling the guinea pig place I got her at and they suggested a different vet due to her saying that they should have given me a different medication which could have been the reason why she still has this problem

T

i ended up calling the guinea pig place I got her at and they suggested a different vet due to her saying that they should have given me a different medication which could have been the reason why she still has this problem

I’m on my second vet too. I had to find an exotic vet as my local vet told me to prepare for the worst. Lily’s currently on Doxycycline. She was originally prescribed baytril by my local vet.

I’m on my second vet too. I had to find an exotic vet as my local vet told me to prepare for the worst. Lily’s currently on Doxycycline. She was originally prescribed baytril by my local vet.
Aww I hope the best for Lily :D I got baytril too, most likely isn’t the one to help my guienapig either

Aww I hope the best for Lily :D I got baytril too, most likely isn’t the one to help my guienapig either

Thank you. She seems to be making some progress at the moment.

Hope you manage to get things sorted too. :nod:

Can I ask what treatment your piggy with lung damage had? My little piggy has been ill since May with URI and then pneumonia been on baytril and sulfatrim initially 6 weeks then sulfatrim for 3 months been off antibiotics twice only to be back in them 3 weeks after stopping them vet doesn’t want him in antibiotics long term and we’re at a loss what to do next so any advice greatly received xx

Can I ask what treatment your piggy with lung damage had? My little piggy has been ill since May with URI and then pneumonia been on baytril and sulfatrim initially 6 weeks then sulfatrim for 3 months been off antibiotics twice only to be back in them 3 weeks after stopping them vet doesn’t want him in antibiotics long term and we’re at a loss what to do next so any advice greatly received xx

Ffraid just got by with a bowl of steaming water next to the cage whenever her breathing was noticeable. My vet also recommended not to treat with longer term antibiotics (she was 4 years when I got her and it took me 2 years and several vets and vet trips to get her diagnosed) because it would have meant that she might have developed a resistance and may not have reacted if she'd needed antibiotics for another potentially life-threatening problem. It was a weighing up of risks. Ffraid lived to 7 years of age, by the way, and died from an unrelated issue.

But nebulising can really help. In more affected cases you can improvise with half an hour on a dry towel in a steamed up shower, but building your own nebuliser with an asthma nebuliser and a large lidded plastic box for regular use is the way forward for guinea pigs with chronic issues.

I am linking @Jaycey and @helen105281 into your thread; they have more experience in this respect.

@Carol L What symptoms does she have? Does she have any discharge? Nebulising can be fantastic, but it can also make things worse so it's hard to decide whether to try it sometimes.

@Carol L What symptoms does she have? Does she have any discharge? Nebulising can be fantastic, but it can also make things worse so it's hard to decide whether to try it sometimes.
He is back on sulfatrim but symptoms are now. Cough and lethargy and head bobbing when breathing he is way better than he was initially and is maintaining his weight just can never seem to stop oral antibiotics for longer than 3-4 weeks before he starts deteriorating

Ffraid just got by with a bowl of steaming water next to the cage whenever her breathing was noticeable. My vet also recommended not to treat with longer term antibiotics (she was 4 years when I got her and it took me 2 years and several vets and vet trips to get her diagnosed) because it would have meant that she might have developed a resistance and may not have reacted if she'd needed antibiotics for another potentially life-threatening problem. It was a weighing up of risks. Ffraid lived to 7 years of age, by the way, and died from an unrelated issue.

But nebulising can really help. In more affected cases you can improvise with half an hour on a dry towel in a steamed up shower, but building your own nebuliser with an asthma nebuliser and a large lidded plastic box for regular use is the way forward for guinea pigs with chronic issues.

I am linking @Jaycey and @helen105281 into your thread; they have more experience in this respect.
Oh this gives me hope just concerned that he is always on antibiotics the longest he’s been off them since May is 4 weeks but vet thinks this should be his last course of oral sulfatrim. I have been using steam regularly and have a humidifier close by the cage. He is happy and maintaining his weight which is good

I had an old boar with exact same problem. I kept treating with baytril and it just kept coming back after a few weeks. His courses of antibiotics were all seen through long enough aswell. Just keep a close eye because he did end up with pneumonia, i caught it early and got him through but only just. I never did find out what his problem was.

Back