• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

guinea pig with limping legs

dingxi

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Dear all, we have a 5-month-old guinea pig-CoCoa. She was active and adventurous and went around the dining and living rooms. Unfortunately, she got ill very recently. At the very beginning, she seemed to have one limping leg (front left leg). She started to remain in one location for a lot of time and did not move around often. A day or two later, she did not even move much and did not eat much. We took her to see a vet. The vet said it might be related to the leg being broken(but the vet did not think there was a fracture) and asked us to bring her back if things did not improve over a week. Now it seems that things are getting worse just after two days. She cannot move at all. It seems that her hind legs cannot move rather than the front legs. She has been lying on her side all the time. We have been syringe-feeding her, otherwise, she would not eat. As she is lying on her side, she cannot move around after peeing and she gets wet and smells easily. Does anyone have any advice on this? Thanks in advance.

Thanks for your reply. Shee was given metacam, but no x-ray. She lost about 3grams over the last 4 days.

That’s good that her weight is stable - 3 grams isn’t considered a loss so you are getting the right amount of syringe feed into her.

As things are getting worse, further investigations would be essential to find out what has gone on.
What dosage of metacam is she on, is it dog or cat metacam and is she being given it twice a day?

That’s good that her weight is stable - 3 grams isn’t considered a loss so you are getting the right amount of syringe feed into her.

As things are getting worse, further investigations would be essential to find out what has gone on.
What dosage of metacam is she on, is it dog or cat metacam and is she being given it twice a day?
0.12 ml once a day. It is for cats and guinea pigs.

0.12 ml once a day. It is for cats and guinea pigs.

Ok, that dose is so very low its probably not doing much for her - the dosage is based on their weight but once a day usually isn’t enough and cat metacam (now licensed for piggies) is three times weaker than dog metacam. Cat is often the one vets prescribe without knowing piggies can take higher doses.
Piggies also need their pain killers twice a day as they metabolise them within 12 hours

Is your vet cavy savvy?

Sorry to hear your girl is unwell. I would book an appointment with the vet tomorrow and ask them to check her over again.

I hope they get to the bottom of it soon.

The symptoms you are describing are not a common problem - at least I've not seen them on this forum - you know, some things come up a lot but not this like you have described. That is unless there's a chance she's been dropped, which can of course cause fractures of legs, ribs, pelvis, internal bleeding and swelling etc. Piggy might initially land and run off so folks think they're OK, but they can deteriorate later on. So the first thing for you to seriously think about is might this have happened? Are there children involved - maybe who've had friends visiting the house? Could she have been put up on the sofa or bed and made a dash for it? We have had previous posts about little visitors... so if you've got kids it's worth asking gently, but pressing the point, because it is important to exclude this.

It is a low dose of metacam for a piggy but a socking high dose might not make any difference if the problem is more than just pain or discomfort. What it lets you know is that your vet might not have a history of seeing a lot of pigs - my older vets use the dog version just because they've been in practice for that long! There is a recommended list of vets linked at the top on the green bar - I don't know if any are near to you. If you are able to get a referral to the Cat and Rabbit clinic in Northampton by your own vet and then get there that might be your best shot: the Maddox vets there seem to be able to work miracles and I've never seen a bad review! They are no more expensive than other vets. Or there is 'the guinea pig vet' Ellie in Matlock? You might be able to book in with her direct. If they ask I think your situation can be classed as urgent if she is getting worse each day.

Posters have appeared with sudden onset of paralysis in the back legs but initially it usually seems that piggy is still moving and active at the front end. This can have all sorts of causes that a vet needs to unpick, from spinal injury, to a tumour, to a sudden drop in calcium levels (I don't know why this happens) so the treatments are obvs very different because while something like massage might help improve one situation it can obvs make any injury a lot worse. Randomly giving them huge doses of calcium on the off-chance isn't recommended either because of the risk of kidney/bladder stones which seem to appear out of nowhere for some pigs anyway. Even for pigs where this seems to be the problem the solution isn't an overnight one. I think all you can do is keep her going on the syringe food and metacam while you try and get another appointment and make sure she's as comfortable as she can be - maybe helping her turn from one side to the other so she doesn't get sores because lying on her side like that is not normal. Try and keep her as dry as you can to prevent sores on the vulva. Are her poops still normal looking? Can you tempt her to eat a very little fresh grass (make sure there is no dog pee on it as that is toxic for them) because they will often try a bit even if they feel really rough. I hope you manage to get some answers - with all due respect to your vet I'd be looking for a second opinion I think. Someone who might have seen this before.

We'll be thinking of you both x

The symptoms you are describing are not a common problem - at least I've not seen them on this forum - you know, some things come up a lot but not this like you have described. That is unless there's a chance she's been dropped, which can of course cause fractures of legs, ribs, pelvis, internal bleeding and swelling etc. Piggy might initially land and run off so folks think they're OK, but they can deteriorate later on. So the first thing for you to seriously think about is might this have happened? Are there children involved - maybe who've had friends visiting the house? Could she have been put up on the sofa or bed and made a dash for it? We have had previous posts about little visitors... so if you've got kids it's worth asking gently, but pressing the point, because it is important to exclude this.

It is a low dose of metacam for a piggy but a socking high dose might not make any difference if the problem is more than just pain or discomfort. What it lets you know is that your vet might not have a history of seeing a lot of pigs - my older vets use the dog version just because they've been in practice for that long! There is a recommended list of vets linked at the top on the green bar - I don't know if any are near to you. If you are able to get a referral to the Cat and Rabbit clinic in Northampton by your own vet and then get there that might be your best shot: the Maddox vets there seem to be able to work miracles and I've never seen a bad review! They are no more expensive than other vets. Or there is 'the guinea pig vet' Ellie in Matlock? You might be able to book in with her direct. If they ask I think your situation can be classed as urgent if she is getting worse each day.

Posters have appeared with sudden onset of paralysis in the back legs but initially it usually seems that piggy is still moving and active at the front end. This can have all sorts of causes that a vet needs to unpick, from spinal injury, to a tumour, to a sudden drop in calcium levels (I don't know why this happens) so the treatments are obvs very different because while something like massage might help improve one situation it can obvs make any injury a lot worse. Randomly giving them huge doses of calcium on the off-chance isn't recommended either because of the risk of kidney/bladder stones which seem to appear out of nowhere for some pigs anyway. Even for pigs where this seems to be the problem the solution isn't an overnight one. I think all you can do is keep her going on the syringe food and metacam while you try and get another appointment and make sure she's as comfortable as she can be - maybe helping her turn from one side to the other so she doesn't get sores because lying on her side like that is not normal. Try and keep her as dry as you can to prevent sores on the vulva. Are her poops still normal looking? Can you tempt her to eat a very little fresh grass (make sure there is no dog pee on it as that is toxic for them) because they will often try a bit even if they feel really rough. I hope you manage to get some answers - with all due respect to your vet I'd be looking for a second opinion I think. Someone who might have seen this before.

We'll be thinking of you both x
Thanks a lot for your answer. Yes, we will visit the vet tomorrow.

Poo output is 1-2 days behind. Small poos mean she wasn’t eating enough 1-2 days ago. Do continue with syringe feeding and weigh her once daily as already mentioned above.

Let us know how you get on at the vet 🤞🏾

Good luck at the vets. I hope they can find out what the problem is and it’s easily sorted 🤞

Dear all, we have a 5-month-old guinea pig-CoCoa. She was active and adventurous and went around the dining and living rooms. Unfortunately, she got ill very recently. At the very beginning, she seemed to have one limping leg (front left leg). She started to remain in one location for a lot of time and did not move around often. A day or two later, she did not even move much and did not eat much. We took her to see a vet. The vet said it might be related to the leg being broken(but the vet did not think there was a fracture) and asked us to bring her back if things did not improve over a week. Now it seems that things are getting worse just after two days. She cannot move at all. It seems that her hind legs cannot move rather than the front legs. She has been lying on her side all the time. We have been syringe-feeding her, otherwise, she would not eat. As she is lying on her side, she cannot move around after peeing and she gets wet and smells easily. Does anyone have any advice on this? Thanks in advance.

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry. This is not an issue I have ever seen on here in this form. :(

Could you and your vet take a neurological problem into consideration? They are unfortunately dreadfully under-researched in already dreadfully under-researched guinea pigs.
CBS-calcified-bulla-syndrome-and-neurological-problems-symptoms-
and-care.196602/

Please step in with feeding and watering care (keep in mind that hay/grass make at least three quarters of what a guinea pig eats in a day and that your piggy cannot reach water). You also need to change the bedding 2-3 times daily in the area she is lying/sitting and that you also need to wash her bum end/belly and under the feet to prevent secondary complications.
Looking After Guinea Pigs With Limited or No Mobility
All About Syringe Feeding and Medicating Guinea Pigs with Videos and Pictures

If the problem progresses further, then you may sadly consider pts/euthanasia as there is sadly no cure for progressive neurological issues, in order to prevent a slow death in great distress. I really hate having to write this, having lost the odd piggies the occasional total loss of control and movement myself but it unfortunately needs to brought up, especially in view of the quick progression of whatever it is that you are dealing with. :(
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs

HUGS

Dear all, She has a brain tumor. The vet has suggested euthanasia. CoCoa has gone. 😭

BIG HUGS

I am so sorry. What a horrible shock for you! :(

You have done absolutely the right and by far the kindest thing. The tumour must have pushed on the area that was regulating mobility.
Brain tumours are thankfully rare but they do happen and they are very much in the category of news none of us ever wants to get. Most are sadly only ever found right at the end, not that there is any cure/removal op for them at any stage. Since initial symptoms are generally extremely vague and can vary quite a lot at the end, they are also very difficult to diagnose. Early brain tumours are generally more like to be found accidentally. Guinea pigs are no helping with their strong prey animal instinct to suppress any symptoms of illness as much as possible, often until it is too late. :(

But there is nothing you have done wrong and it is not your fault in any way. It is just one of the genetic short straws in the lottery of cosmic bad luck; especially when it happens with a younger piggy.

I had to euthanize my Carwyn for a brain tumour in 2018 (he was 6 years by then); the only warning I had was a one-off bloody sneeze two months before he suddenly started haemorrhaging blood through the nose and down his throat late one evening. He had been looking a little ill but without any distinct symptoms to help with a diagnosis in the days leading up it. The vet could sadly only confirm my suspicion, having come across the hemorrhaging on the forum perhaps once or twice in a year, just to give you a bit of an idea how rare brain tumours are. Fitting is generally the other way a tumour is found - although most fitting is caused by other issues. :(

You can find very practical and helpful advice and information via this link below in terms of what you can do for yourself as you grieve, for what you can do for any companions and a guide with more information about euthanasia and when to call it time in case you have any concerns in that respect since most of us suffer from strong feelings of guilt, failure and soul-searching at the onset of the grieving process - we wouldn't have them if we didn't deeply care about our piggies in the first place. They are NOT a sign that you have done anything wrong or have been an unobservant owner just an expression of how much we love and feel responsible. A traumatic, sudden death can make these feelings worse.
Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

I hope that this will help you. Please be as kind and gentle with yourself and give yourself time to grieve for CoCoa.

I'm so sorry to hear this. You did a kind thing by choosing pts although I know it doesn't feel like that. I had to take in one of my first boys who had a growth on his brain which affected his balance and eventually caused him to start fitting. When the fits began we knew it was the end. He was about 4 though and your poor girl was so young, but we don't get any choice in these matters. She lived a fine life until her illness and you must try and remember the good times x

When I lose a piggy I find it comforting to spend some time with the surviving companions. They have often known what was coming before I did. Some manage OK with a period of being alone but some will obviously grieve. When my George was left alone during lockdown we spent a lot of time together. When you are ready, there are links on the green bar above for tips on finding a new companion... piggies are a social animal and don't want to be alone. Take care.

Sleep well Cocoa 💕

BIG HUGS

I am so sorry. What a horrible shock for you! :(

You have done absolutely the right and by far the kindest thing. The tumour must have pushed on the area that was regulating mobility.
Brain tumours are thankfully rare but they do happen and they are very much in the category of news none of us ever wants to get. Most are sadly only ever found right at the end, not that there is any cure/removal op for them at any stage. Since initial symptoms are generally extremely vague and can vary quite a lot at the end, they are also very difficult to diagnose. Early brain tumours are generally more like to be found accidentally. Guinea pigs are no helping with their strong prey animal instinct to suppress any symptoms of illness as much as possible, often until it is too late. :(

But there is nothing you have done wrong and it is not your fault in any way. It is just one of the genetic short straws in the lottery of cosmic bad luck; especially when it happens with a younger piggy.

I had to euthanize my Carwyn for a brain tumour in 2018 (he was 6 years by then); the only warning I had was a one-off bloody sneeze two months before he suddenly started haemorrhaging blood through the nose and down his throat late one evening. He had been looking a little ill but without any distinct symptoms to help with a diagnosis in the days leading up it. The vet could sadly only confirm my suspicion, having come across the hemorrhaging on the forum perhaps once or twice in a year, just to give you a bit of an idea how rare brain tumours are. Fitting is generally the other way a tumour is found - although most fitting is caused by other issues. :(

You can find very practical and helpful advice and information via this link below in terms of what you can do for yourself as you grieve, for what you can do for any companions and a guide with more information about euthanasia and when to call it time in case you have any concerns in that respect since most of us suffer from strong feelings of guilt, failure and soul-searching at the onset of the grieving process - we wouldn't have them if we didn't deeply care about our piggies in the first place. They are NOT a sign that you have done anything wrong or have been an unobservant owner just an expression of how much we love and feel responsible. A traumatic, sudden death can make these feelings worse.
Death, Dying, Terminal Illness; Human Grieving and Bereaved Companions: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

I hope that this will help you. Please be as kind and gentle with yourself and give yourself time to grieve for CoCoa.

Awww I’m so sorry to hear this, you’ve been absolutely amazing during her little short life. You’ve shown her so much care and kindness.
Look after yourself xx
sleep well Cocoa 🌈

I'm so sorry to hear this. You did a kind thing by choosing pts although I know it doesn't feel like that. I had to take in one of my first boys who had a growth on his brain which affected his balance and eventually caused him to start fitting. When the fits began we knew it was the end. He was about 4 though and your poor girl was so young, but we don't get any choice in these matters. She lived a fine life until her illness and you must try and remember the good times x

When I lose a piggy I find it comforting to spend some time with the surviving companions. They have often known what was coming before I did. Some manage OK with a period of being alone but some will obviously grieve. When my George was left alone during lockdown we spent a lot of time together. When you are ready, there are links on the green bar above for tips on finding a new companion... piggies are a social animal and don't want to be alone. Take care.

Sleep well Cocoa 💕
Thank you all for your comfort. We had another guinea pig-Cream who died just two months ago. We then bought CoCoa. I do not have much problem in coping with the loss of CoCoa, as I have too many things to do. It is difficult for children to deal with. We still have one left - Cookie. Cookie is a different type who was bought with Cream. Cookie looks more prudent and intelligent than the other two. Cookie has been looking for CoCoa.

Aah, poor Cookie. She has had to cope with a lot in the last few months I think. And your poor children - it is hard sometimes...
If I am looking for another piggy I personally try local rescues as I tend to go for adult piggies and I try to give those older ones a chance. I have a neutered boar (rescues neuter them before they offer them out) and two girls. But I have also used the adoption centre at Pets at Home - they sometimes do rehoming rather than sales if they have an odd number of piggies or if they are working with local vets or rescue centres. The one time I did try and just buy in a lady companion for George he really objected to her, poor girl, and she had to go back home! But good luck for the future x

Back