• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig with head tilt and wobble

Squeak bub

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I’ve had two male Guinea pigs for 5 years and this year they’re turning six. Recently one Guinea pig has started to have a head wobble and now has almost no equilibrium, he falls when he walks and can’t even tell where the food is. Also, his eyes (specifically right) keep moving even when he is not tilting his head. I’m bringing him to the vet, however before then I would like to know if anyone knows what he has or could have any ideas.

Hi, I’ve had two male Guinea pigs for 5 years and this year they’re turning six. Recently one Guinea pig has started to have a head wobble and now has almost no equilibrium, he falls when he walks and can’t even tell where the food is. Also, his eyes (specifically right) keep moving even when he is not tilting his head. I’m bringing him to the vet, however before then I would like to know if anyone knows what he has or could have any ideas.

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry

Neurological issues in guinea pigs are sadly little researched and there is sadly extremely little that can be done in terms of treatment. :( Your vet will have to look at the inner ear and the middle ear caspule (bulla) for the head tilt and balance - it could be an infection or deterioration. But then the vet will also consider other issues that can also play into it during their examination and based upon their findings.

You can find more information in this link here. There is unfortunately not a lot around.

Wishing you and your poorly all the best at the vets.

Hi,
I found someone online with the same sort of problem with one of their pigs, they took him to the vet and were told it was a possible Vitimin C deficiency.

It could also be Vitimin D deficiency. One of my piggys recently started walking funnily, (hopping like a bunny with her back legs, instead of walking or running normally with all four legs), and we found something that said Vitimin D deficiency. I started moving them outside during the day (they live in my bedroom overnight), and she is now walking perfectly normally. A couple of them had passed away after not walking normally and not being able to hold themselves up. They also were having dental problems, snapping teeth, completely losing them. Once they were put outside every day and getting sunlight, that all slowed down.

If your piggies are inside constantly they may have a deficiency so they need to get outside with direct sunlight, (A good way to do this is in the early morning and late afternoon).

If it's not that it could be an ear infection, which can cause a head tilt, wobbly walking, walking in circles and rolling on the ground.

He could also be going blind which can cause a head tilt and wobbly walking

Back