• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig with an Abcess

• Thread starter Thread starter hayleyc
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hayleyc

Hi There,

I wonder whether anyone can give me some advice about my guinea pig Penny. I noticed yesterday that she has lost weight over the past week or so, and her fur was not looking in very good condition despite only having a bath just over a week ago. I took her to the vet yesterday, and he discovered that the had an abscess on her mouth. She has very long hair so I hadn't noticed the abscess but it's actually quite large. He gave her an injection of Rimidyl and some baytril for me to give her twice daily. He also advised me to bring her indoors and keep her separate from my other guinea pig so that I can monitor how much she's eating and drinking. She has some hay, pellets and celery but doesn't seem interested in eating or drinking at all. When I went to give her the medicine this morning she was just sitting there looking very sorry for herself and looking as though she hadn't eaten or drank anything. I've got an appointment to take her back to the vet on Monday.

Is there anything I can do to encourage her to drink and eat? Or should I try syringe feeding her? I'm really worried that if she doesn't eat anything today she's going to go downhill further.. do you think once the baytrill kicks in she may start to feel a bit better and start eating?

Hayley

Go to the vets and ask for some science selective I think its called you mix it with water. If not some complan veg or original and try and get water into her

Feed her her favourite veggies but she absolutely must be syringe fed (Critical Care or Science Recovery) and syringed water if she is not eating. Where is the abscess on her mouth? If the abscess is large then it's going to be uncomfortable - did the vet not suggest draining or removing it?

I'm also wondering if she's missing her friend - I have one that refuses to eat when he's on his own, even if he is well. I would bring her friend in, too.

Thanks for the advice, I'll get some supreme science recovery for her and give her some water. The abscess is under her chin. The vet did mention that it might need to be drained, but wanted to try the baytrill first. It's a bit worrying because I'm pregnant at the moment and the baby's due date is today, so I keep worrying that I'm going to go in to labour and have to rely on someone else to look after her! :-\

Will let you know how she gets on, thanks for your help.

one of mine has an abscess at the moment, we've been given baytril and told to flush it twice daily, i find if they're not eating, syring feed some pellets and vegetable babyfood(they like this, well mine do) and then give some grass, mine tend to love the grass then i just sneak the veg in there with the grass, mine tend to move straight onto the veg once the grass is gone, suppose it sort of gets them in the mood to eat? its worth a try x

Can you post a picture of the abscess? Its likely that which is stopping the eating, but this can in turn lead to tooth problems if she's not eating and wearing them down. Does she eat when she's had her Rimadyl?

Are you giving probiotics with the Baytril? I've had a few pigs that react badly to antibiotics in that it affects their appetite- even with probiotics, most are OK though.

I use Critical Care syringe food and blended veggies.

If the abscess is under her chin then it could be a tooth problem I would want the abscess lanced and drained, then carry on flushing x2 daily.

Whereabouts are you?

I've just got back from town (went to every pet shop looking for the supreme recovery) and found Penny has died while we were out :'(

I feel awful, I can't believe its all happened so quickly. I thought she might be feeling a bit better as before we went out she'd eaten a little bit of celery.

RIP Penny, hope you're happy playing at the rainbow bridge with all the other furries.

:'(

I am so sorry you have this trauma just when you do not need it. You did all you could.

Sadly,I think this may be another case of U V S ( useless vet syndrome)

I am so sorry for your loss, run free little one. :'( :'( :'(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back