Guinea Pig Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnimalLover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So what is the weight for an average guinea pig? One of mine is 500g and my other one is 715g!

Wiebke is best answering on this one as I am not good on weights. They do seem reasonable weights for their age though I would say the 715g one is more in line with what I would expect. Pigs do grow at different rates though.

700g is fine, 500g is a bit on the low side. Just keep them on a good balanced diet and don't try to fatten them up; they have still got several months to go in order to realise their genetically determined ideal size/weight. Your smaller piggy will likely never grow very large, but she should hopefully make the lower end of the average adult weight (i.e. 800-900g). The ideal adult weight is about 1000-1200g. ;)
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...or-a-balanced-general-guinea-pig-diet.116460/

My Papi (Welsh for Poppy) was just 450g when she arrived here at 6 months old, but even though it was pretty much stop and go with her, she is now over 800g as a fully grown adult and a good heft for her smallish size. She has got the same chance of a healthy long life any of the larger girls. Papi's pregnant mum was rescued from a situation as bad as you can imagine, and one of her siblings died at birth.

IMG_1490_edited-1.webp

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back