• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Guinea Pig Weight Chart

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sara412

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Searching site for a guinea pig weight chart, as I was unaware just how important it was to check on their weight weekly,

I have weighed my five today, but as they are different ages and breeds wanted a guideline
Can anyone help?

Brodie - Rex - 1.42kg - age 3 years
Rascal - 1.31kg - age 10 months
Whiskey .98kg - age 10 months (Rascals brother)
Vader 1.2kg - age 8months
Rio - 1.23kg - age 8 months (Vaders brother)
All Boars - Whiskey's weight is worring me slightly although checked him over healthy

They're all normal, although I'd definitely say Brodie is on the overweight side.. Him and Rascal weigh more than my rabbit XD

Whiskeys weight is normal for his age.

The weights sound normal. Rex piggies can grow a bit larger and they grow for longer than other piggies.

Adult weight can vary between 800g-1800g and still be considered normal; the average is about 900-1300g for a pet piggy. Now you will hopefully understand why weight charts are pretty much useless - the individual range is just too big.

Weighing weekly is for health checking. Please see a vet if there is a sudden or grandual weight loss over 50-60g (2oz).
Otherwise go by heft rather than weight - the rib cage of a normal weighted piggy should not be standing out, but still be able to be felt.

Also we have noticed fluctuations in Star when she is in season, combined with an empty bladder her weight can dip by upto 50gms when in season and then put the weight on within a couple of days when she finishes. If you have them indoors then its important to learn their body language and demeanor.

I agree rexes are bigger pigs and the weights seem fine to me. They are no real guidelines to weight as long as they aren't losing weight (60g fluctuation is difference between full and empty bladder) I wouldn't over worry. My heaviest piggy is 1600g :)

Thanks everyone, I expected Brodie to be heavier as he is bigger all round, although most of it is hair.
I will def weigh them more regularly, but have always gone by cuddle instinct before, and could tell Guiness had lost weight as he was feeling bony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back