Guinea pig waste

• Thread starter Thread starter hayleyandjohn
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
H

hayleyandjohn

I'm not sure if i have put this in the right section...i suppose its about what comes out of the housing?

I have got quite a few guinea pigs and hence they produce, quite a lot of waste. I have to take it to the rubbish dump weekly which is 1. a pain and 2. not very eco-friendly. I feel so guilty about taking it to be put into landfills because its only paper, hay and waste which i am sure will make good compost.
I have asked if i could put it in the green bin for composting but the council said i couldnt. I already have one composter which is full.

I was basically just asking what everyone else does? if anyone knew an alternative to landfill?

Hiya,

I have a compost heap at the back of the garden. When I just had two guineas I would just sling it in the bin and never thought anything of it as there wasn't much waste but now I've got 5 it was getting silly so I just use it on the compost heap.

Louise
x

Hi

Well i have 21 guinea pigs and just put it all in a black bag and bin it ;D
I clean my piggys out like once or twice a week and the black bags surely do gather up but i squash them in ;D Some i just wait for the next time they empty it as if its full theres no where to put them

I also have 2 bins :D

My local rubbish dump lets me put the hay into the garden waste so long as I dispose of the paper seperately.

Well we have caused quite a who ha here with my piggy waste as it states you can put it in your kitchen waste bin. I have 4 of these just for piggy purposes well about a month ago they refused to empty it and I complained so many times, they even told me I had to buy a green waste bin and put it in there but hubby said it all goes in the same lorry so why should we buy a green bin when we can use the free brown bins they couldnt argue with that and they have had big discussions about it and they are currently emptying my bins.
If you cant get rid of it through the council system then you could put a message on freecycle as here we have a few people who do it and their piggy waste gets taken by gardeners :)

We have just been provided with a brown bin and its specifies that animal hay and bedding can be put in it. Yay. We used it for the first time on Saturday. We separated the newspaper and hubby took that to the recycling (not sure we'd get away with putting it out in the blue bags). With just the bits of hay etc left, there was hardly any waste at all. I was absolutely delighted. We cleaned out all the hutches - all 7 of them and 2 cages.

We have had real probs in the past with this and our local tip has actually refused to take it. We were told to put it in our normal bin. Consequently our bin was full of animal waste and we were doing weekly trips to the tip with our household waste.

The only prob is though is the bins will be emptied on alternate weeks. Hopefully though things will be ok.

I only have two piggies but they still produce a lot of poop which needs getting rid of twice a week when I clean them out! I have to say I just black bag it and dump it with the household rubbish... but I have been thinking about doing a composty thing. I just wondered though - how long does it take to break down? Or is it going to look like newspaper, hay and poop for ages? ?

we are allowed to put the hay, megazorb, poops and shredded paper into our recycle bin, just have to seperate the newspaper

We are allowed to put it all in the garden waste rubbish bin but they take it when it suits them :tickedoff: so now I hide it under hedge cuttings ;D the paper gets put into the recycle bin again hidden I have had many an argument with our bin men ::) I also bag it and take to the tip just depends on the recycle bins and how full they are.

We can't put it in our green bin ::)

At the moment it just gets binned (because our compost bins (we only have 4 ::)) are all full..we're making another compost heap on the garden though so it can go in there O0

Jane said:

At the moment it just gets binned (because our compost bins (we only have 4 ::)) are all full..we're making another compost heap on the garden though so it can go in there O0
WISH I could put it in the rubbish bin but ours are fortnightly collections and there is no way enough space for piggie waste only enough room for our rubbish :)

Pumpkinpiggie said:
Jane said:

WISH I could put it in the rubbish bin but ours are fortnightly collections and there is no way enough space for piggie waste only enough room for our rubbish :)

Yeah, we've just gone to the fortnightly collections too that's why we're making another compost heap, no way it will all fit in the bin now :(

I'm having trouble getting rid of my animal waste :-\ Remember I have rabbits too :-\

Yeah, i spoke to the council they said i couldnt put it in green bins.

I bed mine on newspaper, then shredded paper then hay. But newspaper/shredded paper is basically wood! so it would decompose! grr!

the daft thing about the newspaper is we are allowed to wrap our food waste in it so I bung the paper in too and they have taken that.

my pigs also produce alot. so when i clean out i done the marigolds and over a plastic bag i shake of the poo and old hay off the news paper, leave the paper to dry out ten burn it and the poo gets put into our veggie patch/compost, the poo and hay turn out breaks down quicker than the news paper,

or buy a paper log maker, get your soiled news paper soak it in a water proof container, then drain the water and squash the news paper into the log maker and take it out and leave to dry, and you have yourself a news paper log/brick whatever you want to call it, then you can start your garden fires with them or just throw them in the bin :) small compact and sorted,

so poo and hay on compost news paper bricks in the bin,, god i think i have got to do this with the news paper,

BRAIN WAVE ;D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back