Guinea pig was previously neglected

Vallie86

New Born Pup
Reaction score
We recently bought a guinea pig. We prefer to not get pets from a pet store, but this guy was an exception. We were told he was a surrender, and that he was previously neglected/abused. They said he didn’t enjoy the company of other Guineas. He doesn’t seem to be too anxious when left alone in his enclosure, but he doesn’t like to be held. He makes noises when we get close to him, it sounds like “wheek”. He eats properly, and he plays with his toys, but he does sometimes try to bite or lunge at us. He does bite at the bars of his enclosure, but he only does it when it’s feeding time. (especially when it’s time for his veggies lol) We’ve given him time to get used to our home and the people in it. He seems to really enjoy our company as long as we leave his enclosure door open and play with him inside the enclosure, but as soon as i take him out of it he gets upset. Is this behavior i should be worried about, or is it normal? I worry that he is too stressed, or that we are making him anxious.

This sounds rather normal. He has started to see his enclosure as his safe space. If you try to touch him while in it or remove him from it, it sounds as if he is getting defensive (lunging is defence not aggression).
I would give him time - you don’t say how long you have had him - we are talking potentially months maybe even longer for him to learn that you aren’t going to hurt him.

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips

This sounds rather normal. He has started to see his enclosure as his safe space. If you try to touch him while in it or remove him from it, it sounds as if he is getting defensive (lunging is defence not aggression).
I would give him time - you don’t say how long you have had him - we are talking potentially months maybe even longer for him to learn that you aren’t going to hurt him.

Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering and Cuddling Tips
We’ve only had him around two weeks, I’ve just been so worried that maybe he’s just not getting comfortable!

He definitely needs more time - two weeks is not long at all.
One of my piggies was and is still the shyest of them all. He’s been with me for 6 years now and is still the first to scoot off at the sudden movement! It took him a year and a half to take food from me for the first time (taking food from your hand is a sign of trust).

Do you have other piggies?
Are you planning on trying to get him a friend?
He may not get on with other boars, but neutering and finding him a sow may be a success story.
Even living side by side for through the bar interaction with another piggy is better than being completely without anything.

He definitely needs more time - two weeks is not long at all.
One of my piggies was and is still the shyest of them all. He’s been with me for 6 years now and is still the first to scoot off at the sudden movement! It took him a year and a half to take food from me for the first time (taking food from your hand is a sign of trust).

Do you have other piggies?
Are you planning on trying to get him a friend?
He may not get on with other boars, but neutering and finding him a sow may be a success story.
Even living side by side for through the bar interaction with another piggy is better than being completely without anything.
I don’t have another at the moment, but i definitely do plan on making sure we get him a friend! Honestly, getting him was a very quick decision. The pet store where we found him was leaving him in a cage with no bedding or toys or anything:( He started eating out of my hand the first day we brought him home!

Well done you for taking this little guy on. He sounds like he is doing really well to say he has not had the best of starts in life. Be patient with him, when you interact with him have a couple of pellets to hand feed him, I have always found food goes a long way towards trust with most animals

Hello and welcome to the forum. He’s so lucky that you have taken him on.

Well done you for taking this little guy on. He sounds like he is doing really well to say he has not had the best of starts in life. Be patient with him, when you interact with him have a couple of pellets to hand feed him, I have always found food goes a long way towards trust with most animals
Thank you!

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of guinea pigs. Thank you for taking him on to improve his life.
One of my boys has an uncertain history. When we met him he was about 6 months old and living on his own. We were told he had to be separated due to illness and had been alone for some time. He used to be quite uncertain about us, nipping and skittish. He got used to the necessary handling after a few weeks and we would sit on the floor so he could come to us. He very quickly started to climb on us and learned that we won't hurt him.
Fast forward a year and he's a total cuddlebug!IMG-20240529-WA0004 (1).webp

Welcome to the forum and the wonderful world of guinea pigs. Thank you for taking him on to improve his life.
One of my boys has an uncertain history. When we met him he was about 6 months old and living on his own. We were told he had to be separated due to illness and had been alone for some time. He used to be quite uncertain about us, nipping and skittish. He got used to the necessary handling after a few weeks and we would sit on the floor so he could come to us. He very quickly started to climb on us and learned that we won't hurt him.
Fast forward a year and he's a total cuddlebug!View attachment 252986
He is absolutely beautiful!

Welcome to the forum and well done giving this piggy a loving new home.
My boy Micah was a rescue from the pet shop adoption centre and labelled as unable to live with other guinea pigs.
I had him neutered and he lived a very happy life with my sows.
As @Piggies&buns said, it’s a good option.

Looking forward to pictures

Hi and welcome

What a handsome boy!

You may find this guide here helpful for the settling period. He has obviously been handled roughly but he talks to you in guinea pig and is not just frozen: New Guinea Pigs: How to Best Manage Arrival and Settling In

You may also find these guides here helpful:
For a quick course in learning 'cavy': A - Z of Guinea Pig Behaviours

Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
A Comprehensive Guide to Guinea Pig Boars

In terms of companionship, ex-singles that have been separated very young and only been around a human can struggle with the social side or at the worst, no even recognise themselves a guinea pig anymore. For companionship in these cases, a plan B (next door company with interaction through the bars) is ever so important as there are no recommended guinea pig rescues listed for your state (Kentucky).

Back