Guinea pig vegetables high and low vitamin c

HairyPiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. I have two guinea pigs which I love, however I am still a bit confused on what vegetables to feed them. I have come up with a tactic of half of their vegetables are high in vitamin c and the other half low in vitamin c but I'm wondering if anyone else does this and if it is good for them or not? Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Hi and welcome!

Daily staples include romaine/cos lettuce, capsicum, cucumber and coriander. Mine get this daily, with different colours of capsicum for variation and celery three times a week. Fruit should be limited to no more than a small portion per week (this includes carrot). Occasionally (perhaps once every couple of months), they'll get a grape each, or a small piece of apple as a treat.
Hay is the most important part of their diet and should make up 80% of their diet - it should be unlimited.
Pellets should be limited to one tablespoon per piggy per day, but if you'd like to split this portion up so they get pellets in the morning an evening, that's totally fine too. Mine get half a tablespoon each in the morning, and the same in the evening (this is still only one tablespoon per pig).
Long Term Balanced General And Special Needs Guinea Pig Diets
Hope this helps!

Back