• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig unwell?

Maeve

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi,
My boy is getting on now, he turned 7 a few months ago. Within the past week, he’s changed? I noticed the other day that one of his teeth had snapped and the other one was very long, although it has also now snapped. This isn’t diet related (I don’t think, because my girl’s teeth are fine). He’s also permanently puffed up and much more hungry, all the time. He’s constantly begging for food even when he’s just been fed. I’m not sure if this is normal or if he’s unwell, but I’d really appreciate any advice on if he’s unwell or if this is just age.

I’m sorry to her this.

Please do see a vet - any change in behaviour should always be checked out particularly given his age. Being puffed up can be a sign that he is in discomfort/pain.

Please switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh him daily. The daily weight checks enable you to more closely monitor hay intake and check he is remaining stable, and enable you to step in with any required syringe feeding more quickly and efficiently.

I’m sorry to her this.

Please do see a vet - any change in behaviour should always be checked out particularly given his age. Being puffed up can be a sign that he is in discomfort/pain.

Please switch from the routine weekly weight checks and instead weigh him daily. The daily weight checks enable you to more closely monitor hay intake and check he is remaining stable, and enable you to step in with any required syringe feeding more quickly and efficiently.

I’ll ring the vets today. I didn’t know if this was an age thing or not (he’s my first guinea pig 😅) and I go away on Friday, so I hope they can see him before then

I’ll ring the vets today. I didn’t know if this was an age thing or not (he’s my first guinea pig 😅) and I go away on Friday, so I hope they can see him before then

Hi and welcome

Seven years is a great age.

Being puffed up is usually sign of some internal pain somewhere in the body or head. The bigger the puffing the greater the pain.

What you cannot control by eye is the hay intake, which makes over three quarters of the daily food intake, for that you need the kitchen scales. In the very elderly, the organs and the metabolism can also down and nutrition may no longer be as easily absorbed as the body is failing but before you come to that conclusion, you have to exclude mechanical or pain related issues first.

Here is our elderlies care link: Caring for Older Piggies and Facing the End - A practical and supportive information collection

Good that you are trying for a vet appointment. It all depends on what is going on inside the body.

Update:
The vets managed to get him in quickly, and I’ve just got home. His teeth were very long, so they’ve shaved them down and gave me pain meds and recovery sachets to feed him, and told me to avoid hard foods for a few days. He already seems a bit better, but that might be my wishful thinking. The vet thinks that the weight loss is just to do with age, and he’s not got arthritis or any lumps.
I’m glad this is a good update and not a sad one as I feared, I’ll let you know how he gets on!

Which teeth did they shave down?
How did they conclude his teeth are too long? - Normally they need to be sedated for them to have a good look at the molars.
Piggy incisors are meant to be long. They are self sharpening and are kept in check by the correctly functioning molars. If there is an issue with the incisors being slanted then that signifies the problem is at the back of the mouth with the molars. The molars get issues due to them not chewing hay properly at the back. Spurs then start to form where they are avoiding chewing and then the teeth on that side continue to overgrow, trap the tongue and the whole issue gets worse.

Please don’t avoid hard foods - he needs to be eating plenty of hay for both to stop weight loss and to ensure his teeth are working properly.
If he has had weight loss then it is due to not eating enough hay which can have multiple causes. Piggies can lose muscle mass and bulk as they age but will settle at a new lower weight.
Please weigh him daily and feed him as much recovery feed as is necessary to stop any further weight loss - that is around 60ml per day but can be more.

Which teeth did they shave down?
How did they conclude his teeth are too long? - Normally they need to be sedated for them to have a good look at the molars.
Piggy incisors are meant to be long. They are self sharpening and are kept in check by the correctly functioning molars. If there is an issue with the incisors being slanted then that signifies the problem is at the back of the mouth with the molars. The molars get issues due to them not chewing hay properly at the back. Spurs then start to form where they are avoiding chewing and then the teeth on that side continue to overgrow, trap the tongue and the whole issue gets worse.

Please don’t avoid hard foods - he needs to be eating plenty of hay for both to stop weight loss and to ensure his teeth are working properly.
If he has had weight loss then it is due to not eating enough hay which can have multiple causes. Piggies can lose muscle mass and bulk as they age but will settle at a new lower weight.
Please weigh him daily and feed him as much recovery feed as is necessary to stop any further weight loss - that is around 60ml per day but can be more.

The vet said his bottom teeth were digging into his top gum, and as one of his teeth was snapped ragged it was most likely a reason he wasn’t eating. I can’t really limit his hard food intake as he lives with another piggie, so that was a loosing battle anyway. I’m really not a guinea pig expert so I’m kind of just trusting the vets to know what they’re talking about 😅. I’ll keep monitoring him (obviously), but hopefully it’s all up from here 🤞

Pellets should always be limited - no more than one tablespoon per pig per day only. Too many pellets are very unhealthy.

Hay should never be limited.

Carry out the daily weight checks to ensure you are syringe feeding him enough to keep his weight stable:

Hi all,
Thank you for all your advice, it really means a lot to me. This morning Jeremy passed on, and he’s now at peace. My attentions are now on my remaining guinea pig, and making sure she’s happy and healthy. I know of a local rescue that lends guinea pigs out so she can have a friend for the remainder of her life. She seems fine enough, eating and drinking, and she’ll get lots of treats and new toys until I can sort her out a friend.
Again, thank you all for your help!

I'm sorry you lost your Jeremy, he was obviously well cared for as he got to a grand old age.
How wonderful that you are already considering your remaining piggy's needs.

Hi all,
Thank you for all your advice, it really means a lot to me. This morning Jeremy passed on, and he’s now at peace. My attentions are now on my remaining guinea pig, and making sure she’s happy and healthy. I know of a local rescue that lends guinea pigs out so she can have a friend for the remainder of her life. She seems fine enough, eating and drinking, and she’ll get lots of treats and new toys until I can sort her out a friend.
Again, thank you all for your help!

BIG HUGS

I am so very sorry. Jeremy was much loved and clearly well cared for, just very frail from old age.

All the best with finding a companion.

So sorry that you lost Jeremy.
He was a great age, a tribute to your love and care.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve

Back