• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea pig unable to use either leg on his left side

Piggy Planet

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello,

I have a two and a half year old boy, Bramble, just adopted from a rescue around three weeks ago. After a couple of weeks, he lost the use of his front left paw, and by the next day, his back left one wasn't working either.

I took him to a guinea pig-friendly vet who thought perhaps it was an infection, so gave me Baytril antibiotics. He has had no trauma, no falls and has not been attaclked by his companion (I keep a trail camera in their enclosure to monitor behaviour)

I'd like to know if anyone else has ever experienced this issue and what the outcome was for their piggy. Thank you.

We had a pig surrendered to the rescue who lost most of the use in his back legs, but we know he had been kicked by a rabbit which is what had caused it.
Poor piggy, I hope he's better soon. Perhaps some scans or blood tests may help?
Can he feel his feet, if you touch them does he move them? Are they warm to the touch?

Hello,

I have a two and a half year old boy, Bramble, just adopted from a rescue around three weeks ago. After a couple of weeks, he lost the use of his front left paw, and by the next day, his back left one wasn't working either.

I took him to a guinea pig-friendly vet who thought perhaps it was an infection, so gave me Baytril antibiotics. He has had no trauma, no falls and has not been attaclked by his companion (I keep a trail camera in their enclosure to monitor behaviour)

I'd like to know if anyone else has ever experienced this issue and what the outcome was for their piggy. Thank you.

Hi

I am very sorry. Neurological issues in guinea pigs are unfortunately very much the huge void in between islands of light when it comes to guinea pigs. :(

If both legs had been affected at the same time, it would have obviously been a stroke.

Could Bramble have been in potential or know direct or indirect contact (via rabbit debris getting into guinea pig food bowls) with rabbits (e.cuniculi)?

Here is our guide - what little there is in terms of research:

thank you for this - I will have a good read of it. No, Bramble has no contact with rabbbits.

We had a pig surrendered to the rescue who lost most of the use in his back legs, but we know he had been kicked by a rabbit which is what had caused it.
Poor piggy, I hope he's better soon. Perhaps some scans or blood tests may help?
Can he feel his feet, if you touch them does he move them? Are they warm to the touch?
Yes, they are warm.
He's definitely not suffered any trauma. He has been a little stressed by the move from the rescue, I suspect. He spent all his life in a rescue shed. He was kept indoors when we first got him, then I put him outside in a grassy run, with his companion. It was after a few days of this that he became ill. I wondered if he might have come across bacteria he wasn't used to.

Yes, they are warm.
He's definitely not suffered any trauma. He has been a little stressed by the move from the rescue, I suspect. He spent all his life in a rescue shed. He was kept indoors when we first got him, then I put him outside in a grassy run, with his companion. It was after a few days of this that he became ill. I wondered if he might have come across bacteria he wasn't used to.
It sure is possible! It's not something I've ever come across, although I suppose you know it's not trauma so I guess it could be neurological?
It's a bit of a journey for you but the Cat and Rabbit Clinic in Northampton are amazing, it's a couple of hours for us but we've been several times, they know so much about guinea pigs.
It might be worth calling for some advice?
Of course there is always the chance the baytril might work but if not perhaps your vet has more ideas to try.
I hope it all goes well!

thank you for this - I will have a good read of it. No, Bramble has no contact with rabbbits.

The problem is not now but before he was rescued? Do you have any information his background?
Does the rescue have rabbit and guinea pigs and feeds them at the same time?

It sure is possible! It's not something I've ever come across, although I suppose you know it's not trauma so I guess it could be neurological?
It's a bit of a journey for you but the Cat and Rabbit Clinic in Northampton are amazing, it's a couple of hours for us but we've been several times, they know so much about guinea pigs.
It might be worth calling for some advice?
Of course there is always the chance the baytril might work but if not perhaps your vet has more ideas to try.
I hope it all goes well!
Hoping for positive outcomes for Bramble xx
Thank you!

The problem is not now but before he was rescued? Do you have any information his background?
Does the rescue have rabbit and guinea pigs and feeds them at the same time?
Definitely not - guinea pigs only!

I'm not sure how to update a thread, so am posting this as a reply. Bramble's antibiotics have slowly worked to the point where his back end has stablised and he is now back to hopping along happily on three paws. This does seem to suggest that his paralysed paws wre down to infection of some sort.

His left front paw went first and by the next day, his back paw had become useless. He had also not been eating well and had seemed low on energy. Now ne is chomping away on anything and everything and moving around much more.

He is on day 5 of his antibiotics (which I'm told is the day they tend to kick in by) with 2 more days to go. I'm taking him back for another check up when they end and asking about perhaps another course of them to get his front paw moving too.

I'm updating in case anyone else has a similar problem, to show that there is hope with paralysis and infection can be the cause. No trauma was ever a possibility in this case and I didn't feel it could be a stroke or other neurological reasons because of it affecting one paw, and then another with 24 hours inbetween. It would surely have come all at once if it had been the case.

Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
Thank you!

Thanks for all you replies and good wishes. I honestly cannot believe the difference in Bramble. Who knew an infection could show itself in such a strange way? Thank goodness for Baytril!

Back