• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

guinea pig treated!

• Thread starter Thread starter darkpaddy
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's good news, I would still bath her with some medicated shampoo, as this will help get rid of the mites, as well as treat her skin, hair and the affected area. O0

I'm not sure a bath is such a good idea right away, it depends how jumpy the pig is about having her skin touched. If the skin is still very sensitive then a bath will just add extra stress. Maybe wait a week so the first treatment has had time to take effect and then bath her.
When I rescued a pig from the pet shop who had severe mites he couldn't bear to be touched. I waited two weeks before I gave him a bath because by then his skin was starting to get better, the scabs were healing and the mites weren't hurting him as much.
Try gorgeous guineas for shampoo though, they do some great stuff for pigs with bad skin. The manuhka and myrrh shampoo is really good.
http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/

To bath them just fiill the sink or the bath tub whichever you think would be easiest with a couple of inches of warm water. Add the pig, get her all wet, but avoid the eyes, ears, nose etc. Put some shampoo on, lather it up, leave them to sit for a couple of minutes if you're using a medicated shampoo then rinse them off. Remember to have plenty of dry towels handy. Towel dry the piggy gently then either let her finish drying off naturally inside or try a hairdryer on the very lowest setting with your hand between the pigs skin and the dryer to make sure the air isn't too hot.

Gorgeous guineas does a small medicated range of shampoos and what not, the company has a reputation. If she is sensitive to touch or has scabs then no I wouldn't bath her straight away either, however, if she hasn't it should not be a problem. You can bath her in the bath, in the skin, in a tub or in anything that would be suitable. I will try and find a link that explains how to bath your her. O0

Good news, i hope the return visit goes well at the vets O0
Awww give her these to help make her better quickly :smitten: :smitten: :smitten:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back