• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Tooth Decay

Cherry Berry

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi Guinea Pig Parents,

Hope you and your little ones are doing great.
Recently I noticed that one of my guinea pig boys has a bad rotten tooth (image attached). I have got the vet today in the morning.
He was behaving normally and seemed happier recently. Any thoughts on what could have happened?

Best wishes
Cherry Berry

Attachments

• IMG_6582.webp
    IMG_6582.webp
    19.8 KB · Views: 19
Hi. That does look very odd. Is it wobbly? I had a piggy that had a tooth root abscess and it “killed” his tooth and it fell out.

Good luck at the vets.

Hi. That does look very odd. Is it wobbly? I had a piggy that had a tooth root abscess and it “killed” his tooth and it fell out.

Good luck at the vets.
Hi,
that's sad to know. Did your guinea pig have its tooth grown back?
I am just back from the vet. They confirmed an abscess as he is still having a healthy weight, the vet has prescribed enrocare antibiotic (twice a day) and metacam (once a day) for a week and then there is an appointment with a surgeon to check if Cherry would need a tooth surgery or not. Hopefully all goes well :)

Hi,
I am just back from the vet. They confirmed an abscess as he is still having a healthy weight, the vet has prescribed enrocare antibiotic (twice a day) and metacam (once a day) for a week and then there is an appointment with a surgeon to check if Cherry would need a tooth surgery or not. Hopefully all goes well :)

I’m sorry to hear this. Enrocare (baytril) isn’t always the best option for an abscess so you will need to see his things go

Make sure you switch to weighing him daily (once each morning) so you can keep a daily check on his weight. Stepping in with syringe feeding if he is not eating enough hay to maintain his weight. Antibiotics can sometimes upset their digestion and appetite

Hi,
No it didn’t grow back. But he’s fine now and manages very well with three front teeth.

If that antibiotic doesn’t help then Zithromax is a very good one to try.

Back