Guinea pig suddenly terrified?

Jemmalnorris

New Born Pup
Reaction score
My guinea pig (male 2 years old) was having floor time, running around with his brother like normal, and all of a sudden froze at the entrance of his cage and was terrified to enter. He darted to the other side of the room and refused to move. Eventually I had to place him back inside his cage but he hasn't moved from the exact position I put him in and its now been a few hours. I even tried to entice him out with treats as he is a huge foodie but he won't budge. He keeps smelling the air around him, but nothing in his enclosure has changed and there was no loud noise that could have triggered him. Any ideas? I'm concerned he wont come out to eat or drink :(

My guinea pig (male 2 years old) was having floor time, running around with his brother like normal, and all of a sudden froze at the entrance of his cage and was terrified to enter. He darted to the other side of the room and refused to move. Eventually I had to place him back inside his cage but he hasn't moved from the exact position I put him in and its now been a few hours. I even tried to entice him out with treats as he is a huge foodie but he won't budge. He keeps smelling the air around him, but nothing in his enclosure has changed and there was no loud noise that could have triggered him. Any ideas? I'm concerned he wont come out to eat or drink :(

Hi

Guinea pigs have a much finer sense of smell and hearing than us. Something must be wrong if he isn't moving at all. Perhaps you want to give the cage a clean and see whether your boy is coming out when you cover it with a sheet?

Hi!

I had cleaned the cage fully today (around 1pm BST) and he was fine for hours and this change happened at around 8pm.
I will clean the cage first thing in the morning and see if that makes any change at all, thanks! I have also covered the side of the cage where he is with a blanket.

Hi!

I had cleaned the cage fully today (around 1pm BST) and he was fine for hours and this change happened at around 8pm.
I will clean the cage first thing in the morning and see if that makes any change at all, thanks!

See whether he will move if you cover the cage with a blanket or sheet.

Back