Guinea pig standing, chewing when lying down?

Pohtaytur

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, so it's been about a month or so since I've had my pigs, and I've noticed a few things with my piggies. Harold (photo below) really likes standing on his back legs during feeding time, and he gets the zoomies or sometimes twitches with some squeaking when I pull out some fresh hay, which I think is him popcorning cause he doesn't usually do it otherwise. Sometimes Henrietta (my other pig) tries to copy Harold and stand up too, but she does this sort of crouch stand instead. However, I saw that apparently it's not good to encourage them to stand on their legs? I sometimes put lettuce on the tops of their hides to find and we've been trying to get them to learn to stand on command, but should we stop doing that actually? They didn't initially try standing on their legs during feeding since I mainly put it on the ground but it seemed like Harold was lacking some stimulation and hence having him work for his food by standing and/or following.

Another thing after feeding, for the first time Harold was lying on the floor in the open! It just happened today so I was kind of excited since he normally lies down in the hide after feeding time. I saw that he did this chewing/twitching motion with his mouth while lying down, kind of as if he was eating still. Sometimes he does it when he's lying down like a carpet too, but this was the first time I saw it so clearly. Anyone have any idea about that?

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-06-03 at 12.22.25 PM.webp
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-03 at 12.22.25 PM.webp
    114.8 KB · Views: 7
Mine work for their food by foraging through large piles of loose hay in which I hide their veg.

Chewing motion - he probably was still eating as piggies usually still have some food in their mouths

I wouldn't worry too much about the standing on back legs thing. Some of mine do and some don't but they do it of their own accord. George is too old and stiff, fluffy Louise doesn't mind a step up if she thinks food is coming and wants to be noticed. Flora has realised there's all sorts of things to nibble in the garden for the more active girl (in this pic she's found the marjoram that I thought would be safe in this pot!)
where's my grass.webp Flora finds the marjoram.webp
But my rainbow girl Ivy had great balance and could stand up like a meerkat on her hind legs for no reason at all!
If yours are laying out in the open just chillin' and chewin' that's lovely 🥰

Back