• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Spay and General Anaesthetic (GA)

ThreeLilPeegs

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Hope you can help.

One of our rescue guinea pigs, Totoro, needs a spay as the vet can feel cysts and for the last few days these have been causing discomfort (sitting hunched/puffed up). She’s being given metacam twice a day and is booked in to be spayed this coming Wednesday (6th December) at Cambridge Veterinary Group surgery who have an exotic vet on staff.

Because she’s a rescue, we don’t know how old Totoro is — we think 3 or 4 as we’ve had her and her friends for 2 and a bit years.

We’re obviously really worried about putting Totoro under because we know how fragile pigs are, so we’ve asked our vet a number of questions to help us make the best decision for Totoro. We are also very aware that she cannot continue to live in pain just because of our fears of losing her.

Two things remain concerning following our vet visit:

1. The surgery’s protocol for guinea pig GA begins with an opioid pain injection and an injectable sedative (to relax the pig). This is then followed by gas throughout the procedure.

Our concern: we know that gas is the preferred route for piggies because it can be turned off/reduced if they start struggling. One of our other pigs, Matilda, had gas during a CT scan and no injectables— we’re assuming the injections are because Totoro will be under for longer and need deeper sedation? Matilda has had an opioid for a different issue and we actually found this quite scary — she just stood starring for hours.
In others opinion, does this protocol sound reasonable? I know all GA is risky, I think I’m just panicked by the combo of strong injections and gas.

2. We asked the vet how many spays she’s done on pigs and she said ‘a few’. On average the surgery spay a piggie once a month but perform several GA ops on pigs each month (dentals, abscess and lump removal). She has also spayed using the keyhole method and the front incision method. She says we can pick which one she does (I’d rather she did what felt best) but front incision is easier for removing the uterus too (which she recommends).

Our concern: does this sound like good enough experience or should we seek out a more cavy savy vet? I know this vet has her own rabbits and sees a lot of rabbits, some pigs and other exotics, but I don’t have a good sense of what being an experienced guinea pig vet would mean. She does have a certification in exotic husbandry.

Sorry, I know this is long and possibly pedantic, but I want to give Totoro the best chance, she’s a spicy little crested girl who has lots of life left to live.

Thank you,
Sarah

Attachments

• IMG_5676.webp
    IMG_5676.webp
    78.6 KB · Views: 4
I've had a few guinea pigs spayed and have also looked after many, post op, through my pet care business. I would even go as far as saying, if our charity could afford it, I would get all female guinea pigs spayed before rehoming. However, I do have an excellent and very experienced vet. A friend, who had her guinea pig spayed by him recently, asked him for his success rate and he said he loses about 1 in 100. If you would be willing to travel, I would highly recommend you get your piggy spayed by him. It is Simon Maddock at the Cat and Rabbit Care Clinic in Northampton.

I have had several sows of mine spayed successfully at the Cat & Rabbit in Northampton; most were around 4-5 years old.
Having a good operating and recovery vet team makes a big difference.

Simon has performed many ops and dentals on my piggies, all came through really well. he is a really experienced surgeon (I think he is amazing) Travel to him if you can

Thanks for these responses 🤗

Unfortunately we don’t have a car and I’d be concerned about waiting too long for an appointment as she is in pain. I know that everyone talks about Simon and wants to take their pigs to him so I’m guessing, even if we could work out how to get there, Totoro may have to wait until into the New Year. I will call on Monday and check though.

Any good experiences that aren’t with Simon and does anyone have any insight into the anaesthetic protocol my vet has suggested?

Thank you 🙏🏻

I’ve had piggies spayed and although there is always a risk mine all came through well.
I have always gone to my own vets who are very capable and experienced vets who I trust implicitly.
Hope all goes well for Totoro

Thanks so much 🙏🏻 we’re giving 0.5ml of dog metacam twice a day, she’s eating, drinking and pooping but, as you can see from the attached pictures, she’s v v uncomfortable.
I’m now worrying she may need to see the vet before Wednesday. It seems she’s getting worse/ no better 😔

Attachments

• IMG_5798.webp
    IMG_5798.webp
    98.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_5799.webp
    IMG_5799.webp
    57.6 KB · Views: 2
Hi. In answer to your question about anaesthetic protocol, my vets used to just use gas but at some point switched to injectables. There are advantages and disadvantages.
On the plus side an injection to sedate them is less stressful than being gassed down. And the use of opioids ensures good pain management during the procedure.
On the down side it does really space them out and takes them a long time to shake off. From my experience up to 24 hours. It does also reduce their appetite and slow their guts. Check with your vet that she will be given an injection of a gut motility drug and that you will be given some to give her orally at home too. And have some syringe food on standby. It is also important that you keep her nice and warm post op especially when injectables have been used.
An other thing to consider is what your vet is used to doing. If they are very use to using injectables for rabbits and guinea pigs but not so familiar with just gas, then injectables are a safer option for them.
Obviously there are no guarantees and it is always a worrying time but if your vet has successfully carried out spays before and is a skilled surgeon with a good nursing team then there is every chance it will be ok.
I should add that I have not had a piggy spayed using injectable anaesthetic but have had other operations done this way which have been successful. Also in the past I have had a piggy successfully spayed (just with the gas) by a vet who wasn't Simon.
I wish you all the best with whatever you decide.

Back