• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig smell?

Pohtaytur

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, so I was petting my boar Harold, when I noticed a sort of musky smell? It's kind of a hard smell to describe. I don't think it was the smell of pee? It was a little sharp, but I could only really smell it if I was close to him, maybe a few inches away.

I clean their poop daily and clean everything out weekly, so I don't think there's any particular bacteria, since I haven't noticed much of a smell otherwise. Is it just his pheromones? I haven't checked his butt yet but I'll probably be checking his but in case there's some impaction. Is there a specific soap I should use? Does he need to see a doctor? Thanks!

Hi! I'm not 100% sure but my boars also have a strong smell. It could be from their grease glands. i don't know how to describe what it's for but it could be smelly. Check this out: Bathing (including cleaning grease glands)
and see if it helps. Maybe you should check his butt and see but it's most likely his grease gland (the thingy that kindof looks like a butt crack)

How old are they?
Boars do tend to have a boarly smell! That’s very normal.

Impaction tends to occur in older boars when the anal muscles lose strength.

Bathing doesn’t need to be done unless there is a medical need to do so. Soaps should be avoided as they dry the skin too much

Some boars have a much stronger musky smell than others. But it’s worth checking their bits regularly for any signs of impaction to see whether that’s an issue.

Boars are a bit stinky sometimes when they are scent marking. But otherwise they smell like hay x😍

How old are they?
Boars do tend to have a boarly smell! That’s very normal.

Impaction tends to occur in older boars when the anal muscles lose strength.

Bathing doesn’t need to be done unless there is a medical need to do so. Soaps should be avoided as they dry the skin too much
They're around 2 years old, not exactly sure cause they were found and I adopted them from a shelter.

Back