• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Skin Conditions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cinn&sugarmybbs

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, I have two guniea pigs that are around 8 months old. Both of them have been itching occasionally so I had them checked for mites fleas and lice at the vets. They all came out negative. They had a uri when I took them (3 weeks ago) so the doctor prescribed baytril to kill that and she said "any Bactrial skin infection". One of my guniea pigs has been losing hair for 2 months now, kind of like shedding, she doesn't have any bald spots. and she always seems to be laying down. I told them this and she didn't say much about it. I've tried the fungal baths and creme and nothing changes. I'm beginning to think both have sensitive dry skin (my house is extremely dry and my husband always is itching too). I'm just scared sugar might have a cyst or something but I think she might be too young. Both are eating and drinking fine. Any suggestions? I'm just getting very worried

Hi, I have two guniea pigs that are around 8 months old. Both of them have been itching occasionally so I had them checked for mites fleas and lice at the vets. They all came out negative. They had a uri when I took them (3 weeks ago) so the doctor prescribed baytril to kill that and she said "any Bactrial skin infection". One of my guniea pigs has been losing hair for 2 months now, kind of like shedding, she doesn't have any bald spots. and she always seems to be laying down. I told them this and she didn't say much about it. I've tried the fungal baths and creme and nothing changes. I'm beginning to think both have sensitive dry skin (my house is extremely dry and my husband always is itching too). I'm just scared sugar might have a cyst or something but I think she might be too young. Both are eating and drinking fine. Any suggestions? I'm just getting very worried

Hi! Have you considered trying a bowl of steaming water to humidify the room and see whether that is making a difference? If it works, then it may be worth investing in a proper humidifier.

Shedding hair without any bare patches and any sign of skin flakes etc. does happen in some piggies, especially around spring and autumn. I have some piggies where I think they must be bald seeing all the hair they lose, but of course it is growing back thinner/thicker depending on the time of year.

Please note that guinea pigs don't have species specific fleas and that broad spectrum shop treatments are too low dosed to really do the trick.

Sugar is very young to have a cyst. Cysts are specifically connected with balding sides and belly.

You may find these links here helpful.
Guinea Lynx :: Hair Loss
Guinea Lynx :: Parasites
Guinea Lynx :: Fungus
Guinea Lynx :: Ovarian Tumors
New York - Guinea Lynx Records

Hi! Have you considered trying a bowl of steaming water to humidify the room and see whether that is making a difference? If it works, then it may be worth investing in a proper humidifier.

Shedding hair without any bare patches and any sign of skin flakes etc. does happen in some piggies, especially around spring and autumn. I have some piggies where I think they must be bald seeing all the hair they lose, but of course it is growing back thinner/thicker depending on the time of year.

Please note that guinea pigs don't have species specific fleas and that broad spectrum shop treatments are too low dosed to really do the trick.

Sugar is very young to have a cyst. Cysts are specifically connected with balding sides and belly.

You may find these links here helpful.
Guinea Lynx :: Hair Loss
Guinea Lynx :: Parasites
Guinea Lynx :: Fungus
Guinea Lynx :: Ovarian Tumors
New York - Guinea Lynx Records

Thank you again, I have a humidifier out for them now. You really eased my nerves. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back