Guinea Pig Sitting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashleigh

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
hi, I'm going on holiday soon and I'm struggling for someone to look after my 2 pigs. I have a friend who lives close by however she's only just turned 16 and I don't know whether to trust her with 2 front door keys, a back door key, a shed key and the house alarm, she also has no experience with guinea pigs. What do you do when you go on holiday? Is there any businesses in the UK that will come around and look after them? Thanks

Hi there. Personally, I never go away as I don't trust anybody to look after my little ones. Some people get pet sitters to come in and others use boarding services.

Hi there. Personally, I never go away as I don't trust anybody to look after my little ones. Some people get pet sitters to come in and others use boarding services.

Thanks, I'll see if anyone recommends a pet sitter or anything, and with the boarding services would they take my cage or would I have to put them in a totally new environment? And it's making me not want to go anymore!

Can you put your location onto your profile then maybe a member who is local to you will be able to recommend a pet sitter..

Please add your location to your profile as it helps fellow members give any answers to questions you may have that may be area/country specific. This can be done by clicking on your username, then personal details, then add location......

Lisa & Ali..

Thanks, I'll see if anyone recommends a pet sitter or anything, and with the boarding services would they take my cage or would I have to put them in a totally new environment? And it's making me not want to go anymore!
There are boarding services around, it is better to keep them in their home environment though. I wouldn't give a 16 year old all that responsibility. Is there a neighbour you are friends with? It isn't much to ask, as long as they're responsible.

Can you put your location onto your profile then maybe a member who is local to you will be able to recommend a pet sitter..

Please add your location to your profile as it helps fellow members give any answers to questions you may have that may be area/country specific. This can be done by clicking on your username, then personal details, then add location......

Lisa & Ali..
Thanks, I'll do it now

There are boarding services around, it is better to keep them in their home environment though. I wouldn't give a 16 year old all that responsibility. Is there a neighbour you are friends with? It isn't much to ask, as long as they're responsible.

Yes that's what I thought. Well to one side they're on holiday too and the other side are very elderly, however we look after their animals when they go away and they have experience with animals just no guinea pigs, I don't know what to do! :no::bye:

The boarding services use their own cages. There is a link to some recommended ones on here somewhere.

Do you have a trusted friend you could ask to pop round and do it?

I leave my guinea pigs with my parents look after - we live in the same house- so its easy for me but theres a lady at my mums work who has asked me to take care of her guinea pigs and cat while shes away on holiday.

I know a few people take them to animal boarding. I recall someone on here runs a small animal boarding but I can't recall who.

I know if isn't much use to you, as I am 50 miles south in Derby. But I am willing to look after guineas if any members want who are local to Derby. I would have to have them here, but they would be safe and well cared for.

Do you have a trusted friend you could ask to pop round and do it?

I leave my guinea pigs with my parents look after - we live in the same house- so its easy for me but theres a lady at my mums work who has asked me to take care of her guinea pigs and cat while shes away on holiday.

I know a few people take them to animal boarding. I recall someone on here runs a small animal boarding but I can't recall who.

I'm going with my parents so that's not option, Erm I have a friend but I don't know whether to trust her with all the keys (mentioned in the original thread) I don't know what to do

However, there's a gap in the fence by the side of my house which my friend could get through and then id only have to trust her with one set of keys, however this would mean my piggies wouldn't have their microwaveable bed for a week, this may sound petty but if it's cold they love it.

I am too far away to be able to help, but I can assure you that the piggies and buns who board with me are not upset in any way by the change in environment. I do offer a home visiting service too, which mainly cat owners use. I do visit some buns and piggies at home, but mainly they come to board here with me. When people come to see me about boarding their pets I ask lots of questions and get them to fill forms in to explain about personality of their pet, what foods they enjoy so I can get to know as much about them as possible before I take care of them. I also urge them to bring anything the piggy or bunny is used to having in their cage/hutch to make it as homely as possible.

I am lucky and my 16 year old daughter or 20 year old son look after my boys - although I do have to have the food prepared and portioned and list of instructions- have only risked a 3 night break so far !

Would it be useful if we had a list of members and areas of those members who would be happy to offer a pig sitting service ?

I live on the West Midland / Shropshire border and would happily look after anyones piggies if required. I have one spare outdoor cage and one indoor cage, and garden runs- so if I can be of help please do contact me

I have a lady that comes in to see to my animals. Have twenty three and my dogs have issues so boarding is not an option. Only did it once so far for two nights. She didn't have piggy experience but I left good instructions and a mutual friend is piggy savvy. She stayed from five pm till nine am and visited during the day and walked them. If anyone in our around Cumbria' needs a number for said animal sitter have two numbers that I trust. She only charged sixty quid for three days. My dogs are rescues so have issues but as she has a rescue dog herself she was great with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back