Guinea Pig Shed?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MushiiPeas

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Heys guys,

The piggies are having to move out the house into the garden in a shed for a lot of reasons, landlord trouble amongst other problems.

Anyho i am getting them a 8ft by 6ft shed with windows and i have c&c grids ready so i can make separate pens for each pair or they will fight, i'm going to put lino on the bottom of the shed floor and their each going to have a 2X4 enclousure.

They are bedded on fitch and in the colder months have a hay area too as well as a hay rack.

I will bring them in for floor time each during the evening when i get home from work as i have a pen for them.

Anyho my main question is how i can insulate it to keep it warm during the winter without the piggies eating it and cheapest way possible?

Thanks in advance!

:D

I didn't go for mega cheap, I bought the foil wrapped insulation rolls from Wickes, they were on offer £15, buy one get 3 free. I then bought bog standard chipboard from my local wood yard for £12 a sheet, I only needed 2 sheets as I built my new hutch into one end of the shed and insulated behind it. I also inherited a second hand oil filled electric radiator. I have power in my shed so I have heating and lighting. ;)

Hi. I have a heater for when it's cold and two built in fans that come on when it gets warm. When u say you are bringing them in for floor time, it's not really a good idea if it's warm indoors and then cold in shed, best to wrap up and sit out with them so they not exposed to extreme temp differences. X

I'd much sooner have mine indoors but I was outvoted by OH.

I have an oil filled radiator but the days I am struggling with are those when we have cold, crisp mornings but the sun comes out later in the day as it would get too hot in the shed if I didn't open the windows. If I am working earlies , I have to open the windows in the morning while it is still quite cold.

I have some snuggle safe heating pads for these days.

Does anyone find that their shed get too hot? Ours has 2 Windows that don't open and I'm a bit concerned it might get too hot in the sun, we have added some extra ventilation into the top of the walls, would that be enough?

My two are in a hutch in a shed and the shed's not totally insulated yet and has no electricity (work in progress!).

I lock the boys in the hutch at night and make sure its gots loads of hay and a snuggle pad, and I also cover the hutch with a blanket as its been getting very frosty here. They are very toasty when I 'release' them in the morning!

As your piggies will be in a C&C set up in the shed you will need to ensure that they have somewhere really cosy to sleep at night as the temperature can really drop - you can get a digital thermometer that measure the high and low temp in the last 24 hours to help with that.

Due to my location I opted for a hutch as I thought a C&C setup be best in a heated shed, but I am sure others with this type of set up will be able to help you with this.

You can put a an upturned good sized box with loads of hay in there for them to snuggle into at night. Will look forward to seeing the pics once you are all set up - great size shed by the way!:)

p.s. must post my pics soon too :doh:

Hi. I have a heater for when it's cold and two built in fans that come on when it gets warm. When you say you are bringing them in for floor time, it's not really a good idea if it's warm indoors and then cold in shed, best to wrap up and sit out with them so they not exposed to extreme temp differences. X

I agree with that, what I am planning to do is to bring them in the house into the kitchen during the day (as I work in there) and keep the heat really low/off in there so that when they return to the shed its not a huge shock to their system. Having the thermometer in the shed will really help with trying to match the temperature in the house to them - once I get electric in the shed then we can all be toasty!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back