guinea pig rumbles and licks my hand when i stroke him

cinnamon7

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
whenever i stroke my guinea pig he rumbles and licks my hand and he also puts his paws on my hand, what does this mean

that he likes it but is also uneasy. licking your hand is a sign of affection. maybe you're stroking his whole body? most guinea pigs dont like their bums touched and will rumble when you touch it. but generally enjoy being petted... try just petting his head and giving him chin scritches. I also find they enjoy having their jaw massaged at the base, its one of the most use muscles for any rodent. mine like it anyway... i know my cookie squeaks when you touch her bum and will give you back kicks. but will some how manage to bend her head at a 90 degree angle to her back to get chin scratches.

that he likes it but is also uneasy. licking your hand is a sign of affection. maybe you're stroking his whole body? most guinea pigs dont like their bums touched and will rumble when you touch it. but generally enjoy being petted... try just petting his head and giving him chin scritches. I also find they enjoy having their jaw massaged at the base, its one of the most use muscles for any rodent. mine like it anyway... i know my cookie squeaks when you touch her bum and will give you back kicks. but will some how manage to bend her head at a 90 degree angle to her back to get chin scratches.
i give him chin scratches, massages and pet his head i don’t stroke his whole body and thank you

I had a boar who used to stand in place and rumble whenever I was petting his head and cheeks and he was pleased about something (like he just got his favourite food or the cage was just cleaned). If he was super pleased he would walk away after and do a bit of popcorning. If he was annoyed about something (didn't seem to want the same veggies as yesterday, for example) he would dart away from me without letting himself be petted at all lol!

If you think about whatever the situation was when your piggy was rumbling etc. you can probably tell if the reaction is good or bad, but to me it sounds like you've got a really affectionate piggy. That's so cute.

My little Miss pig will vibrate and make a similar sound to rumblestrutting but with out the slow booty shaking, I always just assumed she was purring and enjoyed it and the fact that she just completely stretches out and lays flat but the purring sound can also mean fear, it all is in their body language, if they’re tense and seem to be frozen with fear and eyes bulging so much so you see a decent amount of white then the sound probably means fear but if they seem relaxed and grooming your hand then I would assume he enjoys it, Miss pig will have my hand soaked with saliva lol when I pet her but at the same time every Guinea pig is different, but you probably can’t go wrong with reading their body language ☺️

Back