Guinea pig reintroduction

The Guinea pig channel

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I have 3 Guinea pigs ginger,onion and cinnamon recently cinnamon has been lunging at ginger for quite some time and every time ginger tries to sniff cinnamon she always lunges at her. So then I separated cinnamon and ginger, onion are together and they get along really well. When they’re separated they had been sniffing eachother through the fence lately which is a good sign. So I’m wondering when can I reintroduce them again and how would I be able to do that? Thanks

Attachments

• DFA00DEA-8CF1-4BF0-82DB-4ED581C94A73.webp
    DFA00DEA-8CF1-4BF0-82DB-4ED581C94A73.webp
    131.8 KB · Views: 9
Behaviours are the bar are not indicative of whether they want to be together or not. It’s normal for separated piggies to interact at the bars, but doesn’t necessarily mean they can share territory.

It is worth noting that lunging is a defensive behaviour not an aggressive one.
Nipping (the biting with her mouth) is a gesture of power. It is not a reason to separate piggies unless it formed part is a long string of bullying. Bullying in sows can be more subtle and harder to spot.

If piggies didn’t like each other first time round and they were not able to form a bond, then they do not tend to change their mind about that. Once a bond has failed, reintroduction is not likely to be successful.

If you could provide us with a bit more information about your piggies, then we can help you further.

How big is the cage they all can potentially live in together? Three sows need a 5x2 c&c.
How old are they all?
How long have they been separated?
Other than lunging you’ve mentioned (as I say that is defensive, nor aggressive), were the any other behaviours which caused you concern and prompted the separation?

If you wish to try a reintroduction because they did not actually fall out previously, then you just put all the piggies in a neutral territory bonding pen. No hides should be in the pen, just a pile of hay and some water. You then add the pigs and monitor them for several hours. If successful, then you can clean down the cage they are to live in and move them back to it after several hours in the bonding pen. If unsuccessful and they don’t want to be together as a trio, then they will need to remain as pair and a single.

Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
Moody Guinea Pigs: Depression, Bullying, Aggression, Stress, Fear and Antisocial Behaviour

They are in a 5x2 cage and they are a year old and I just separated them 3 days ago and they actually were not really bonded because onion gave birth to ginger and cinnamon was in the cage when that happened and then they grew up together then cinnamon just started lunging at ginger and she makes a squeak but no fur pulled and kept on doing that when she was in the way and ginger was trying to be nice and sniff her and she kept on doing it but cinnamon gets along with onion but not ginger. so that’s why I’m asking if I can reintroduce them if they were separated for alittle.

This is her biting her I couldn’t do a video

Attachments

• 9EA1DDB3-186F-4C5A-AE61-FCDE1DB650BF.webp
    9EA1DDB3-186F-4C5A-AE61-FCDE1DB650BF.webp
    14.7 KB · Views: 6
They are in a 5x2 cage and they are a year old and I just separated them 3 days ago and they actually were not really bonded because onion gave birth to ginger and cinnamon was in the cage when that happened and then they grew up together then cinnamon just started lunging at ginger and she makes a squeak but no fur pulled and kept on doing that when she was in the way and ginger was trying to be nice and sniff her and she kept on doing it but cinnamon gets along with onion but not ginger. so that’s why I’m asking if I can reintroduce them if they were separated for alittle.

It may be that Cinnamon is just reminding Ginger of her place in the hierarchy. If there has been no hair pulling and Ginger has not lost weight or behaves out of sorts (hiding, not eating, behaves out of character) then it sounds like normal hierarchy sorting. Squeaking is a good sign as it means she understands her place in the pecking order.

How long have they been living together? They sound like they are bonded to me. Have a read of the guides that have been linked above. Also look at the guide below on levels of dominance behaviour and see if you can place Cinnamon on it.

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs

It may be that Cinnamon is just reminding Ginger of her place in the hierarchy. If there has been no hair pulling and Ginger has not lost weight or behaves out of sorts (hiding, not eating, behaves out of character) then it sounds like normal hierarchy sorting. Squeaking is a good sign as it means she understands her place in the pecking order.

How long have they been living together? They sound like they are bonded to me. Have a read of the guides that have been linked above. Also look at the guide below on levels of dominance behaviour and see if you can place Cinnamon on it.

Dominance Behaviours In Guinea Pigs
The thing is though this has been going on for a while now and I'm not sure why she gets along with onion perfectly but with ginger she justs bites her every time she’s walks to her

How long has it been happening? Is it a daily occurrence? And how long have they been living together? Has Ginger been behaving any differently? When you separate, you look at the submissive piggy with regards to how they’ve taken the separation.

Did you look at the link I posted, and the ones posted before?

Like months now and about 1 year but she started doing it when my other female Guinea pig pepper passed because she was the boss . Yeah ginger is the same and eating it’s just sad how she is trying to be nice and cinnamon just bites her and steals her house when she’s inside of it.

Stealing her house is all part of being higher up in the pecking order. Top pig has choice of hides etc.

How long has it been happening? Is it a daily occurrence? And how long have they been living together? Has Ginger been behaving any differently? When you separate, you look at the submissive piggy with regards to how they’ve taken the separation.

Did you look at the link I posted, and the ones posted before?
Yes
Stealing her house is all part of being higher up in the pecking order. Top pig has choice of hides etc.
so when do you think I should introduce them again and should I give them a bath before I do?

I have to agree, it sounds like normal dominance - Cinnamon is ensuring Ginger knows her place in the hierarchy.
The nipping, as I said, is a gesture of power.

I would try a neutral territory reintroduction. Make sure you know the signs of dominance. Separating for normal dominance behaviours is not necessary.

No need to bath them. It won’t make any difference

I have to agree, it sounds like normal dominance - Cinnamon is ensuring Ginger knows her place in the hierarchy.

I would try a neutral territory reintroduction. Make sure you know the signs of dominance. Separating for normal dominance behaviours is not necessary.

I know the signs of dominance I was just alittle worried because I love ginger and she’s so sweet so when do you think I should introduce them again?

And plus does this type of dominance last that cinnamon does last for months?

You can try a reintroduction when you have plenty of time to do it. A neutral area with just a pile of hay (and veg at their usual time), no hides. Hopefully they’ll go back together fine.

Some piggies feel the need to assert themselves more than others. I would say as long as Ginger isn’t losing weight and acting withdrawn then she is likely fine. The link posted earlier on bullying will give you more details for what you may look out for/notice.

You can try a reintroduction when you have plenty of time to do it. A neutral area with just a pile of hay (and veg at their usual time), no hides. Hopefully they’ll go back together fine.

Some piggies feel the need to assert themselves more than others. I would say as long as Ginger isn’t losing weight and acting withdrawn then she is likely fine. The link posted earlier on bullying will give you more details for what you may look out for/notice.
Okay! I’ll tell you if everything goes good! Thanks for your help!

Back