Guinea pig randomly gets very humpy

interestingthoughts

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have two male guinea pigs one is older and the other is younger. The older one will randomly get humpy where all he try to do is hump the other one until he falls asleep and is fine. And I don't mean where its for 10 minutes I have seen him aggressively try to hump the other pig for hours like hes in a trance. It also only happens with my older guinea pig where he gets all excited and crazy and sort of aggressive. The only issue is that it causes a lot of short term stress on the bond and one time when this happened one of my guinea pigs got bit once. Anyway does this ever happen to you? Specifically with boars?

I don't quite understand why it happens because normally they are fine and also in most other guinea pig bondings their isn't much humping once they are introduced and settled down. It could be a random spike in hormones but its still very short term

It is normal, it does happen in other pairs and well after bonding - it happens life long as a way of reinforcing their bond. If it is caused by hormone spikes (which still happen in adults) then it can take a day or so before hormones settle

Back