• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Guinea Pig Probiotics

CosmicPets

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi! My 3 year old male guinea pig was on antibiotics prescribed by the vet after his brother passed away from pneumonia. We stopped it after he had a bad reaction to it. He is still having diarrhea from the antibiotics. Not full on, his stools are still somewhat formed. I thinking I'm going to cut veggies out of his diet for a couple of days, and just have him on pellets, critical care and give lots of hay.
My question is, would probiotics help him in this situation? And how effective are they with small pets like guinea pigs? My final question is if so, what probiotic should I give him and should it be prescribed by a vet?
He is behaving completely normally and eating/drinking like regular.

Is it full diarrhoea or just soft poops?
Full liquid diarrhoea is considered an emergency and you should have him seen by a vet straight away.

Please do stop giving him veg. Giving him veg while he has any digestive upset will make things worse and will not allow his digestive system to settle. He needs a lot of fibre to get things back on track - so lots of hay. He can have the normal one tablespoon of pellets per day. You should always weigh him daily while he is struggling with his digestion. This enables you to monitor hay intake more closely (which you cannot judge they are eating enough by eye) and allows you to step in promptly with syringe feeding if needed.

Regarding the probiotics. We always advise that they are given when a piggy is taking antibiotics or is having digestive issues. BeneBac is one which seems to be most commonly mentioned in the US

You have had excellent advice above, but i wanted to add that I have used BeneBac on several of my piggies over the years, and always found it to be super effective when they have some sort of digestive upset.

Back